Managed Switch's

You can download the cisco networt assistant software for free anything above v5.2 I think will work for both 6000 and 8000 then save the configurations for each switch once you get things setup.

I have been using a managed HP Procurve 1810-24G gigabit managed rack mount switch with no troubles so far. It has SFP ports and the transceivers are readily available if fibre is in the mix. The only downside is the AC power supply but our control panels already have a pretty boss inverter for some other load so this isn't a big deal. I don't think there is any need to stick to the automation vendors for ethernet gear, lots of other companies have been making it for longer and operate in a larger and more competitive market space. I assume the automation vendor has licensed 99% of the product design from the networking company and stuck it in a DIN-mount enclosure.

But when DIN mount and a DC supply justifies the expense, I use lantronix or n-tron.

yes everything is on the same network IP address, i was looking at the RS20-1600T1T1SDAE hirschmann switch as it is quite reasonable at about £900 and gives me 16 ports as it looks like 8 ports may now be not enough for what i want to do.

as far as the stratix 6000 routeco only seam to do an 8 port version, can you link two switches next to each other to increase capacity, or isnt this good practice? i know with the 8000 you can have expansion modules but the extra cost to go for the 8k might not be justifiable. plus with two seperate switch if one goes down its £500 to replace as apose to swapping out a 16port at probably £800-£900

Rob

I simply "like" the stratix series because of the way they integrate into logix programming. I use those features a lot.

If cost is your first consideration and you don't need the logix 5K integration features then the RS20 sounds like it may be a better choice for your application.

Nothing per'se wrong with using 2 switches but if i could have 1 then then that would be my prefered method. Most times I don't run into a situation where I need 16 ports in one location as I try to break them up a little.

Just depends on your setup. Hirschman makes real good stuff and either unit would be a solid choice.
🍻

looking at the cost of the 8 port stratix and RS20 there isn't much cost wise between them, i think its now going to have to be down to the functionality to decide the winner. i do like the idea of the logix 5k integration with the stratix though.

is there downloadable software for the stratix 6000 and RS20 or do you use a web browser to view an onboard configuration wizard?

i just want to have a look at what you can setup with managed switchs etc

For the RS20, I use HiDiscoverey version 2.06 in Windows 7. I think we used an earlier version with older windows versions. It is a very simple application that scans your network for MAC IDs belonging to Hirschmann and lets you do basic configuration on them. From within that app, if you select a particular device and hit the "www" icon, a browser pops up to do the more detailed configuration (password protected). I did have trouble with one old version of the software not being able to properly call up a browser, but that issue was probably IT related, and the workaround was just manually browsing to that IP address.

The newest switch web pages are very slick and full featured, easy to navigate, and graphically appealing. I have only had one real situation where I used it, since they've been so reliable. We connected a Logix PAC with Ethernet/IP I/O to our plant LAN and I wanted to ensure that IGMP snooping was set up and we had one querier on the network. I haven't been "into" any of our switches since then except to test the software on my new PC a few weeks ago.

Okie has given you the low down on the hirschman. The stratix 6k can be setup using its internal webserver which you access with a web browser like IE or you can set them up using RS Logix 5K.

The Stratix 8K can be setup with its internal webserver, RS Logix 5K, Cisco networking assistant, Telnet, or CLI for the IOS operating system.

8K is a real cisco switch and is the choice for connecting to the corporate network for remote access and other tasks.

I have been looking through the stratix 6k manual and have come across several functions that apply to my application, and a few of them overlap but are they all designed to be enabled together or is it a matter of just one/two of them, to me the IGMP Snooping, QoS, port segmenting, port configuration, are all features which are appropriate, maybe even some others I'm unaware of.

Port Segmenting is just another jargon way of saying VLAN's.

Port Configuration is where you change things like flow control, Make the port transmit Recieve or both, Change Port Speed and Duplex. Most of the time this is left at factory defaults and only needs to be changed if you have some non compliant device that has to comm at 10 mbit vs 100 mbit or something like that. Not something you run into a lot but you have the ability to compensate for it in the switch if you need to.

QOS is just traffic priority. Here you can tell the switch which ports have priority over others for example a drive on EIP you may want to have a higher priority than a port that does to a historian or data collection system. Here you get to tell the switch which traffic is the most important and it gets the resources first.

The hirschman series should have all the things you listed also. These are standard functions of almost any managed switch.

The things that the stratix has that work with logix is that of a unknown device plugs into my network the 6000 will have the controller turn on a alarm light and horn for example.

If a port going to a drive or anything else for that matter and its link is lost or it stops comms for any reason I can have my controller set a alarm on my HMI that says tere is a problem with the comms between port 1 on the switch and the device connected to it. This lets bubba know where to start looking.

The switch can shutdown ports and alarm if a forgein device is plugged in like the night shift operator who brought in his laptop and plugged it into the graceport on the front panel trying to get to the internet.

being able to monitor the switch on the HMI via a FT view ME / SE faceplate.

These links may help with your understanding
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qr/enet-qr001_-en-e.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/wp/enet-wp008_-en-e.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/enet-pp004_-en-e.pdf

I understand the functions it's just I am not sure if all of those settings apply to me with regards what I am trying to achieve and if all of the mentioned functions can be all enabled together or not