ML1400 to Banner VE Camera messaging

Good morning all.

Does anyone know where a sample program is located to message data to and from a Banner VE Series camera from a ML 1400? I am trying to set up and test a program to interface with the camera and I am not having any luck. Their manual is not very explanatory and I have not been able to locate a sample program.

What's your experience level here? Have you ever used an MSG instruction in a 1400 before?

Chapters 22-24 in the 1400 Instruction Set manual are what I think are needed.

Most of the work will probably need to be done on the 1400 side. It seems the 1400 has only CIP Explicit messaging (i.e. client/server), not CIP Implicit messaging (is that the right name?), so you will have to figure out the mapping of data in the camera.

Modbus TCP (Chapters 22 and 23, above) might be similar and simpler*, and it looks to me that the Modbus mapping is documented with a bit more clarity than CIP mapping in the camera manual (https://info.bannerengineering.com/...1666.pdf#_OPENTOPIC_TOC_PROCESSING_d119e56654).

As for a sample program, the messaging is usually a single MSG instruction with some triggering logic** generating a rising edge to trigger data transfers, and the meat of using that instruction will be in its internal setup, so searching this forum (or The Google) for e.g. [micrologix 1400 modbus client] should yield some hits, as well as the DOWNLOADS section.

The MSG instruction uses a MSG structure, so the program will need a Data File comprising one or more Message elements (Right-click [Data Files] => [New], then [Type] => Message). Again, searching this forum and/or the site DOWLOADS should yield some examples.

* Simpler in that Modbus only transfers 16-bit Integers, and converting that to summat else (bits or 32-bit Integers, for example), is up to the program, so the MSG setup ("give/take these bits in one of your four available data blocks") is less involved than the Service Code/Class/Instance/Attribute/... folderol.

** Getting the triggering logic right is sometimes a bigger deal than the MSG Setup Screen, because it needs to deal with demand, timing, the MSG enable/completion/error status bits, etc.
_

Last edited:
I have some experience with messaging, but I won't claim to be a pro. According to the manual, it shows setting up the messages as PLC5 Read and Write and the camera set to PCCC protocol. The PLC writes to N14 in the camera and reads from N7 in the camera. I have it working over ethernet with a compact logix but I am not getting the ML1400 messaging to work properly. I will study the camera manual some more.

Yes I changed the messages to 500CPU Read/Write. I am getting an error on the message that says "Unknown Error e1" when I try to write the program number to the camera. I did notice that the inspection number is a 32 bit integer where as the ML only writes in 16 bit integers. Maybe that is causing the error, but that is a guess because I am not sure what that error is.

Since you had it setup w/ Ethernet/IP then switch to PCCC. It may be helpful to restart the sensor.

Screenshots or attached the .RSS would be helpful.

Last edited:
The VE manual shows at this link how the MicroLogix 1400 MSG instruction needs to be typically configured. "Data files" N7 and N14 on the VE are for reading and writing by the 1400, so apparently the VE is pretending to be a MicroLogix/SLC.

Don't worry about 16- vs. 32-bit integers yet, just see if you can get the bits.

The 1400 manual has a table of message codes at this link; the description for E1H(exadecimal) is "PCCC Description: Illegal Address Format, a field has an illegal value," so I suggest you go back and look at the examples from the VE manual.

Should not need to, If the config is the same size as the screenshots in manual

Whoops, yeah, I see that now.

I think Modbus might be easier, but not much really; protocols are protocols. I wonder if pylogix could read and write to this VE camera?

No, wait, pylogix does *not* implement PCCC, right?
_

Not sure what the "baiting" thing is about and I have no knowledge of pylogix. Attached is a zip file of the RSS file. There are two program files, Lad 7 - PART_SELEC and Lad 8 - CAM_INTER. The CAM_INTER ladder is where the messaging occurs. I was setting it up per the "flow chart" in the Camera Manual so it may be UGLY right now. I was worried about getting it working before cleaning it up.

The camera manual was showing the messages being set up as PLC5 Read/Write but I set them to 500CPU Read/Write since it is a MicroLogix and not a PLC5.

Last edited: