Mounting non-din-rail equipment in panel

ryangriggs

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm looking for suggestions to neatly mount equipment such as cable modems and routers which don't have screw slots or DIN rail brackets, in a panel.

Zip ties are not exactly elegant, and tend to make maintenance tasks difficult. Also, exact-fit fabrications are a bad idea because cable modems can change on a whim of the provider, and then you've got one hanging by wires because it doesn't fit the previous size.

Thanks for any suggestions!

You take the casing off of the equipment in order to mount the bracket. Yes, in most cases this will void the warranty, but it isn't usually a concern of mine as I would configure and test something like a cable modem before putting it into the panel. I know that in an industrial environment unless it was over a couple hundred bucks I wouldn't spend my time messing with a warranty for a single device as it would not be cost-effective.

Another option would be to use adhesive velcro strips, but the adhesive wears over time and environmental factors such as temperature, humidity and vibration can be an issue though the velcro itself usually does quite well.

I'm guessing you are using a business or consumer grade product though because most products designed to industrial specifications have din rail mounting options.

Thanks Sparkie,
you are correct: the cable company will provide modems for telemetry. I also want to use a simple router which can run DD-WRT which allows for more flexible configuration. This keeps the cost low, and it's not a harsh environment so they should be fine.

You take the casing off of the equipment in order to mount the bracket. Yes, in most cases this will void the warranty, but it isn't usually a concern of mine as I would configure and test something like a cable modem before putting it into the panel. I know that in an industrial environment unless it was over a couple hundred bucks I wouldn't spend my time messing with a warranty for a single device as it would not be cost-effective.

Another option would be to use adhesive velcro strips, but the adhesive wears over time and environmental factors such as temperature, humidity and vibration can be an issue though the velcro itself usually does quite well.

I'm guessing you are using a business or consumer grade product though because most products designed to industrial specifications have din rail mounting options.

attachment.php

we do a bunch of rack mount shelves to catch the miscellaneous communications equipment which sometimes is difficult to determine exactly what it will be during the design phase.

This panel door has a POE injector switch, a router, a PBX, and a satellite modem all loose and interspersed with a couple of rack mount switches, inverter, and power bar.

It isn't the tidiest but pretty good for last minute installed in the field equipment.

comms shelves.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice neat solution, I have to say, but everything in me is screaming "for the love of god, get a 19" network cabinet!"

Don't mind my OCD :p