Newbie Student - Please Help.

Hey, Im very new to plc's, and unfortunatley due to lack of numbers the course im on has been merged with another and i have now found myself faced with these machines.

Anyway, i have an assignment on plc's and im struggling to find some information ans was wondering if anyone can help. This question is probably really simple and i'll sound like a right muppet.

I need to describe the resolution and relationship between analogue inputs, and outputs and word length. [this doesn't even seem worded right]

So i think i need to know what the analogue inputs/outputs are that can be used on plcs and what word length is.

As i say, this is probably really easy but plcs aren't my thing and i haven't got the first idea.

Please help,

Many thanks,

Si

Nobody here is going to give you an answer outright but we are willing to lead you in the right direction.

To learn about what a word is check out this page.

http://www.learn-c.com/data_lines.htm

Here is a hint, I found that link by typing "bit, bytes, words" into google.

Come back with more questions after you have read that and found out what a word is. Before you ask again try to figure out how these may relate to the inputs and outputs on the PLC be them either Discrete or Analog.

Last edited:
Requst for Info from our Brittish Friends

In the UK, don't they assign or reccomend a text for each class? And doesn't the text have at least basic information related to the course material? I keep asking myself why all of these students come here for answers to questions that I really think ought to be covered in some kind of assigned reading!

Am I totally off base, or is the system so totally different over there? I know European universities tend to be less structured, relying more on written and oral final examinations to determine passing of a course, but do they not use text books?