O.T. Strangest 2am call out

We had a downtime sheet. The guys called it Jeff's fault sheet if after 10 minutes they still had trouble. They had to fill out the sheet if I could detect it in the PLC I would make a fault and how to fix it. "Light curtain 3 not made after forklift loaded rack. Look at alignment" I wanted to add "fire forklift driver" but they wouldn't let me.

I did the same thing with a tracking system. One fault and it would get out of sequence. I turned squares green if they sure good and red ifthey where out if position. We had a great operator he was my best trouble shooting tool I had. When he was out all he11. So I created this screen. If they touched on the red square it would goto the correct screen to manually move that station. About 2 weeks of work the regular operator was back in 3 weeks.

OkiePC.
Yes, we also do like that. And we try to make an item flash with red colored if "there is something wrong with it".

I have thought of that there should either be photos of the various items that could be involved with the fault, and/or a link to the relevant electrical/pneu/hy PDF diagram with the relevant parts circled in.
Unfortunately that functionality is not there in WinCC Flexibles alarm system.

I think to remember that in RSView32 there was an option to have RSLadder which could link an alarm message with the relevant PLC code. Neat, but of course not relevant for me since my programs are always perfect.

Well i too dont have experiecne but there was this one time when there was problem with the communication. I told bubba to restart the plc which he did.After 30 min i got a call nothin is running. I came over to check and found plc in program moe. Put in run mode and job done.

Bubba exists at every level.
I had to travel 600 miles to repair a new machine that the "servos acted funky". When I arrived the electrical engineer and plant manager informed me that they wanted that junk out of the plant because "it didn't last 2 months". They had even routed the line around it.
Bubba and Cletus, electrical engineer for the corp home office and local integrator installed a vision system. They wired all to the original 25 watt power supply.
Of course it ran great after I removed all the added wires. The EE disappeared after I explained to all what had occurred.

Gas didn't you know that five years latter they would use the power supply for something else? If you only needed 2 amps and used a 30 amp it wouldn't be large enough. They always find that one extra thing to use on it.

You are right Jeff.
I have also seen the same thing on the mechanical side.
A #40 chain was quite adequate for 10 years then it suddenly is too small. The customers product mass doubled and the speed was increased. Mechanical engineer this time.
He had to learn the hard way about chasing the weakest link.
50 chain then a bigger clutch. Then a bigger shaft. etc. etc.

Mine is not exactly a bubba moment but nearly.
I was called to a concrete block making factory late one very cold evening.
I diagnosed a proxy was not working under a conveyor.

When I got to the spot where the dud proxy was I realised I had to crawl under the conveyor and there was a large cold puddle of water in my way.
I braced myself, got on my belly and wiggled under.

It was horrible feeling the freezing cold water seeping into my clothes and on my skin.
But after a short while, I got used to it - a bit like wearing a wetsuit.

The night engineer called my name and said something I couldnt hear.
No matter how many times I asked him to repeat it, I still couldnt make out what he was saying.
So I crawled back through the cold puddle and asked what he had said.

He said - " did you watch the snooker on tv tonight, and if you did, who won?"

My worst call (in terms of lack of observation skills by people) was an early AM call one night. They told me that a set of belts were not running forward or backward. But the second set was. I told them that both sets of belts were powered by the same circuit, if one is running, the other should be.

The operators always have the supervisor call me, and the supervisor knows almost nothing about the problem or machine. I asked to talk with the operator, so he could answer some questions. The supervisor put me on hold, then when he finally got back he told me "The operator said he's too busy. It's your problem and you need to fix it."

So I grudgingly come into work. Not a horrible drive, I only live about 15 minutes from the factory, but still annoying to be interrupted from a nice sleep to fix stupid issues. I walk into work, walk over to the machine, and see the motor sitting there turning, and the belts stationary. And a coupled shaft in two pieces just flopping around in the air.

I walked over to the supervisor, pointed to the broken coupling and rod, and told him to get the maintenance personnel to fix it, then walked out the door.

One of my biggest peeves about working in this industry is how little knowledge exists and how little knowledge from experience is retained by people who manager puts in charge of this stuff. I don't know about elsewhere, but here it seems that the people in the Electrical department are the only ones with any training. Maintenance and Setup personnel, who are in charge of repairing and keeping machines running, are nothing more than machine operators with enough seniority to have been promoted. They are not trained at all, and while a few of them are very knowledgeable and very handy, there are more than enough bad ones to make my head spin daily. Regardless of the issue, and without even observing the machine to get an idea of what the real issue is, the first line of defense is always "Call [ME]!". I don't have a problem helping or fixing real problems, it is part of my Job. But I just wish management would train these promoted operators better, or choose a better selection of people.

I wasted almost an hour yesterday having to repeatedly explain to an operator how to reset a machine after a safety gate was unlocked, opened, and entered. They didn't seem to understand that you had to press the "Acknowledge Alarms" button on the Alarm screen that popped up after the safety circuit was broken. After the third time of calling me over, the operator said "Why can't there just be a single button called 'Reset Machine'?" To which I said, "There is, it's right here, called 'Acknowledge Alarms'. You press this button and the machine will start up." and walked away.

I have a temper problem I think, and while most of the time I try to stay calm about all the lack of trained people in positions that require knowledge, I occasionally crack (I think I repress all my anger about it so much that it tends to come out in bursts). I'm glad I work for a single shop, and don't have to deal with other customers. I think I would make a bad impression for my company if I was snapping at people I don't work with.

PS. I'm not claiming to be an expert on everything, I've only been working in the business for 5 years, and started fresh out of college. I'm sure there are a lot of things I don't know which others would think were simple.

Mine was a cross country flight to a plant where they were complaining that a drive servo was dripping out on over current. On entering they started the machine and indeed the servo amps were very high. We shut the machine off. I took one look at the drive train and noticed a very large bearing which was in the process of destroying itself. The side split open, grease and roller bearings falling out. I was surprised anything could move. I mentioned that my training is mostly electronic but, pointing out the bearing which they had somehow just overlooked, that doesn't look good. I spent about 6 hours reading a novel in my hotel room, while they repaired the machine, then came back. The machine started and ran fine.

Another was after a 13 hour flight to Taiwan. The machine had been rewired - our fault, misread electrical specs - but would not start up. I walked into a very cool reception. One of the parts which had to be replaced was a linear power supply. Our parts people had sent one out without the power leads soldered on so the customer had to unsolder leads from one power supply and connected to the new one. They missed one connection. I wasn't allowed to do the electrical work so I asked them to move the one lead over one position. They insisted that it was already soldered to the proper position but grudgingly moved it. Not surprising to me the machine turned on and functioned properly. So they stomped off to the office where the original parts had been stored and brought back the original power supply. By the traces of the solder on the pins they realized the error. After that it was a great visit.

I walked into a very cool reception.
This one always gets me because even though its most likely not your fault they treat you like it is all your fault their machine is down. I find it amusing but try to keep my smirks and laughter to myself since no one else seems amused. Then when you fix the problem, which had nothing to do with you, they treat you like a best friend.

Saterday night 2300 hours;
telephone call from a technical manager of a speed-skating track.

He had problems with his scada-like software used for controlling the cooler-installations.

First thought on my mind: damn, why at this day/time ?

After some talk I got the funny feeling that I was something missing.
I asked him where he was....
It turned out that he was at home in his comfy chair, and was trying to install the scada software on his home-computer !!!

He found some troubles while trying. Therefore he called the service-number of our company (hey..24 hrs/day) and told the guy who answered that it had something to do with software. Him were given some telephone-numbers of software-engineers.

I told him to call back on monday for this completely non-urgent issue.

Monday following I walked into the office with a "hey, you know who called me saterday-night" ?
They answered simultanously: yeah, the guy from the speed-skate track ! He called all of us around that time.

Greetz,

P.s. I suppose Bubba has a different name in each country ?

I use Muppet over here in the UK :p

The Muppet Show

Will our American cousins be horribly offended that we use the characters from a well-loved family show to describe somebody brain-dead?

I really sympathise with Tharon - my sarcastic signature line reflects what happened this week when I was away and the ASi safe system would not reset. First they pressed "reset" on the front or the safety relay, then they held it in- thereby clearing the memory. Next they prised off the front to "See" the model number. By the time my (Sensible) colleague looked at it, it was ****ked.

When I went back to work, they said - of my colleague who replaced and reprogrammed the module - that she swore a lot!!!!

When I lived in Singapore, I once had a call from a customer in Bangkok about a "broken" machine. "Have you checked the main drive fuses?" I asked, "Yes" came the reply, "You'd better get on the next plane". I took the next flight to Bangkok and guess what... A fuse was blown on the main drive.

That wasn't the worst case though. After I moved back to the UK I had a call from a very distressed customer in South Korea with two machines down simultaneously. I was requested to head straight to the airport, which I did. About an hour after my flight left London they fixed the first machine and about an hour before I landed in Seoul they fixed the second machine. I shook some hands, had dinner with the customer, and went home again.

Nick

One of my favorites is the phone call I get to "just to wake you up and so you have a few minutes to get orientated before we find out if there is really a problem that we need help with, we'll call you back in 10 min if we cant fix it". Are you kidding me?