Old Panelview program download problem

DaveZR2

Lifetime Supporting Member
Scratching my head here. I'm trying to download an application to a PanelView 550 screen. Cat # 2711-T5A10L1 Ser A Rev F FW: V04.41 (just upgraded recently because I thought that was the problem), Boot: V02.05, Devicenet, 24V.

When I try to download the application I get "Error 4091 - Application file is for an incompatible communication type."

Application settings show that the communication is set for Devicenet. Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure that the terminal selected in the application matches the actual terminal as closely as possible. Not just the communication type, but also verify that the terminal type, input method, firmware revision options also match.

Verify the Series and Revision level you have selected from the Catalog list match.

Firmware revisions do not necessarily have to match as long as the terminal's firmware revision is higher than the application's revision and the application revision is 2.0 or greater.

Regards,
George

In your second picture click on "Catalog & Revision Numbers" then make sure you select the correct one to match your PV.

Mickey,

If you look at the screenshot of the settings again you will see at the top...

Seleted Terminal:

2711-T5A10 PV550 Touch, FRN 4.10-4.xx, Ser/Rev A/E or Later

This information already tells us which Catalog / Revision number has been selected, and it is correct for this terminal, according to the photo of the terminal's sticker.

DaveZR2,

I'm not sure after that?

Let's cover some basics, just in case...

Out of curiosity, what did you upgrade, the terminal's firmware or the terminal itself?

If the firmware, and aside from the sticker revision, what firmware revision did you go from/to?

How are you connecting to this terminal for the download - a single cable on the "bench" or connected into a DeviceNet network where the terminal resides?

That is, are you trying to download via the RS-232 serial port or the DeviceNet port?

G.

Geospark,

To answer your questions:

I upgraded the terminal firmware.

I can't remember exactly what the original firmware was, but I believe it was 4.00 or 4.01.

I've tried downloading via both memory card and on the bench using an RS-232 cable. I haven't tried using DeviceNet.

DaveZR2 said:
...I've tried downloading via both memory card and on the bench using an RS-232 cable. I haven't tried using DeviceNet.

OK,

You cannot download via DeviceNet, you must use the serial port or memory card. I was just making sure you weren't barking up the wrong tree.

Did you get the same error for both download methods?

What RS-232 cable are you using?

A 2711-NC13 is the recommended download cable. It's basically a straight thru cable with pins 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 populated. Any straight thru cable should work though. As will a 1747-CP3 with a null modem adapter. Other Allen-Bradley cables that will work are the 2706-NC13 and 2711-NC14 cables.

What version of PanelBuilder32 are you using? The latest is v3.83.

I assume there is no application file loaded and running on the terminal since you flashed the firmware?

On the "Download File" window, what "Transfer Type" are you selecting and which driver are you accessing?

Have you confirmed you can "see" the terminal in RSLinx Classic first?

G.

I get similar errors with the memory card and through the serial cable. The memory card download just says "File is not supported". Through the serial cable, I get a more detailed message (Error 4091).

I was using cable 2706-NC13.

Panelbuilder version is 3.83

Correct, there is no application file loaded/running

Transfer type is "DF1 Point-to-point -- RSLinxAB_DF1-1"

Yes, I can "see" the terminal in RSLinx

Thanks for your help so far

DaveZR2 said:
...Transfer type is "DF1 Point-to-point -- RSLinxAB_DF1-1"...

OK,

Try changing the Transfer Type to "RSLinx Network" and browse to your terminal via the DF1 driver that you say you can already see it through. When you have the terminal highlighted, then press "OK" to begin the Download.

See if that works?

G.

FYI finally figured this one out. The company we bought this from (a popular company that repairs PLC/HMIs and resells them) sold us a refurbished unit. I pulled it apart since we were beyond the warranty coverage and I needed to steal a part from it. They installed what appears to be a non-Allen Bradley Devicenet card which caused issues when trying to download an application. I swapped in another Devicenet card and it works fine.

Moral of the story, when you buy a refurbed component, test it before you put it on your spare parts shelf!

Thanks for all the help.