OT - Empty Keg Indicator

RichardB

Guys,

In searching the forums I noticed a bunch of guys actually do some brewing. I'm not that elaborate, I simply like to drink a nice cold beer without the mess of bottles and cans.

My main issue is when the keg "suddenly" goes empty on me. It typically happens when my cup is half full and blows beer/foam all over me. This is besides the fact that I'm out of beer.

I'm looking for a way to give me an indication of how full/empty the keg is at any given time. Cheap and Dirty is ok. I'd like to keep it under $200 for a solution. Of course under $100 would be even better.

I've thought about trying to weigh the keg inside the kegerator, but don't have very much headroom(~2"). I'd also be worried about damaging the sensor/scale when putting a new keg into the kegerator.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 🍻

Rich

Get a cheap level transmitter (non-contact) through omega.com
Cheap, accurate and CLEAN.
Sorry, there isn't an extra port on the keg, is there?
If there was, it would be awesome.
(What about measuring the pressure, teeing off of the pump)

Last edited:
SNK said:
Get a cheap level transmitter (non-contact) through omega.com
Cheap, accurate and CLEAN.
Sorry, there isn't an extra port on the keg, is there?
If there was, it would be awesome.
(What about measuring the pressure, teeing off of the pump)

No pump, CO2 Cylinder = Constant Pressure

I don't know if this would work or not--how about one of those "stick on" strip thermometers? I'm thinking that there may be a difference in temperature between the liquid filled part of the keg and the headspace part of the keg. If you take a half full keg out of the fridge, condensation will form on the side of the keg, but stop at the top of the liquid level. This seems to indicate that temperature difference may be useful as an indication of level...

RichardB said:
Guys,

In searching the forums I noticed a bunch of guys actually do some brewing. I'm not that elaborate, I simply like to drink a nice cold beer without the mess of bottles and cans.

My main issue is when the keg "suddenly" goes empty on me. It typically happens when my cup is half full and blows beer/foam all over me. This is besides the fact that I'm out of beer.

I'm looking for a way to give me an indication of how full/empty the keg is at any given time. Cheap and Dirty is ok. I'd like to keep it under $200 for a solution. Of course under $100 would be even better.

I've thought about trying to weigh the keg inside the kegerator, but don't have very much headroom(~2"). I'd also be worried about damaging the sensor/scale when putting a new keg into the kegerator.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 🍻

Rich

I think you need to do one of those system safety or fault analysis reviews. Obviously this is a VITAL system and failure cannto be tolerated. I believe a second system is required to ensure system operation at all times.

Dan Bentler

CowDung said:
I don't know if this would work or not--how about one of those "stick on" strip thermometers? I'm thinking that there may be a difference in temperature between the liquid filled part of the keg and the headspace part of the keg. If you take a half full keg out of the fridge, condensation will form on the side of the keg, but stop at the top of the liquid level. This seems to indicate that temperature difference may be useful as an indication of level...

Micro Matic sells what they call a Smart Strip that is supposed to do that. I really never liked mine. Not only did it not do a good job of measuring the remaining beer, it wasn't that accurate at measuring the temperature. I usually just check the keg for the condensation point as you described while I clean my lines and defrost my kegerator.

Now that I have a fresh corny of home brew ready when one runs out, i don't worry about it much any longer.

There are alos outfits that sell a gizmo that counts how many times you pull back on the faucet handle but I doubt they are that accurate as well.