OT How to handle break downs

PS: People working my company want to hide everything. There is no communication. Everybody wants to make impression. Oh look this guy came and did the job.Oh look this guy doesnt know anything. Sorry for such a long post.

I've been in this situation before. Try these tips:
1. Never say anything bad about anyone else.
2. Never praise yourself.
3. Never complain.
4. Listen. Even when you know what you're being told is incorrect. You will soon learn who to believe and who to ignore.
5. Offer to help, even to those who refuse to help you.
6. If you're ever in a position to make an operators job easier, do it.

After a while you will be the person everyone is happy to see coming when there is a breakdown. See #3 when you get more work assignments than the other guys. You may get the toughest jobs, but at the end of the day you can go home confident that you earned your pay. You'll also never be bored.

Hey all.
I am 8 months into my first job. For some reason I have problems in handling the break downs. Everyrything blacks out for me.

I am trying to control but still i tend to panic.
It is hard to focus on the machine when you fear getting criticized.

I always end up doing stupid things.
Is that really what YOU think or what THEY say??

I am sure i can do the job when there is no pressure of breaddowns.
Give your self some time.

PS: People working my company want to hide everything. There is no communication. Everybody wants to make impression. Oh look this guy came and did the job.Oh look this guy doesnt know anything. Sorry for such a long post.

MY EVALUATION You are working with a bunch of chickenSxxts. They have to run someone down to make themselves look good.
They will always pick on the new kid. Give yourself some time and you will at some stage no longer be the new kid. I worked for a while in one of these outfits. Hard to keep self confidence but I outgrew new kid. At 18 mos when I left several commented that my leaving was a loss. By then it was too late.

In meantime learn whatever little you can there. The big kids more than likely will be reluctant to share knowledge. Start looking for new job. Take advantage when you qualify for them and use all the medical and dental benefits.

IN FUTURE -- REMEMBER YOUR DAYS AS NEW KID.
Never pick on new kids. Stick up for them when you can. Always help them as much as possible.

Dan Bentler

All very good advise,
I to was first starting out, a new job in a new field and after 1 week on the job, was thrown to the wolves on 12 hour night shift. Somethings you will learn the hard way. Its always a good idea to document your problems and solutions in a journal(perferable each line has its own section). When you have a problem the manual is a good place to start if you still have questions and no answers in sight the vendor is always a good source but be ready for there questions also. Some vendors have after hours service you can call, beleive me they loved my 2:00am calls. Also I use of flash drives for manuals, journals ect...
You will find out what operators you can trust when you ask them what they were doing just before the line went down. Some will be honest and some not.

Have A Good Day

Tom

I've been in this situation before. Try these tips:
1. Never say anything bad about anyone else.
2. Never praise yourself.
3. Never complain.
4. Listen. Even when you know what you're being told is incorrect. You will soon learn who to believe and who to ignore.
5. Offer to help, even to those who refuse to help you.
6. If you're ever in a position to make an operators job easier, do it.

Nice...

Friend the operators.... they will know the machine better then most

You will have a lot of techs walk up to a machine and blame the operator, but they can be your best tool and can help a lot

I have seen operators know who is on call and screw up a machine just because they knew the guy could not fit it, if they are your friend they will not do it.

Machine troubleshooting is easy :) I love it, if you enjoy it and the challenges then its not bad at all

The best thing I did to learn was get thrown on night shift by myself after 30 days on the job, no one to bail me out I had to learn how machines work and what to do to get them running again... the good old days :eek: (had a few black out sessions myself)

Omg. I never expected such a response. Thank a lot everyone. This is gold. I am gonna print this stuff. I am feel a lot confident now. :)

1) Walk in and take complete charge of the situation. Ask lots of questions. Take notes on the answers. Don't be afraid to get a little bossy (not a lot bossy, just a little).

2) Resist the urge to pull out the laptop as the first step. As Ken mentions, there are a host of issues with doing this. Since it is very unlikely that the program broke, odds are it is something much more mundane. Play the odds. Using the PLC to find the issues on a machine IMHO will deaden your diagnostic skills over time. It is also a perception thing. If you fix the problem without using your PC, then they have to think "wow, we could have solved that ourselved had we just though about it". The reverse is true, if you crack your PC open, and you could have figured the problem out without it, they still see that you used your PC to solve the problem and will develop the notion that only people with PCs hooked up can find and solve their problems.

3) If management comes back and starts to pressure you for answers. Give them answers. Don't put it in laymens terms. Give it to them straight with no BS. They won't understand what you are telling them anyway and they really don't care what is wrong. They only care about two things. They need to know WHEN you will have the machine up and running, and they need to know that you are the right person for the job. Obviously, you can never give them a definite answer on "how long". Instead, give them a few scenarios and roughly how long each of those scenarios will take.

4) Always listen to and observe the operators. Make them comfortable with you. It is like a doctor / patient relationship. They know all the symptoms, and your initial diagnosis will be based on those symptoms. You have to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

5) Always check it again YOURSELF. This one point is by far the biggest trap I have fallen into in the past. When someone else says they have "checked" something, don't be afraid to say show ME. You would be suprised at how many "technicians" don't know how to properly test certain types of components. (i.e "I checked the sensor and it was working" might really mean "the little orange light on the prox still goes on and off, but I didn't actually check to make sure the signal is getting all the way back to the input card")

6) Trust what you know. If something doesn't make sense, don't let it slide.

7) Take about 10 to 20 minutes just to study the machine. Break it up into it sub-parts. Walk your mind through the entire process from start to finish so that you understand what it is doing. Isolate the subsystem that is malfuctioning. Think for a couple minutes about how you would have done the application had you never seen this machine before. This will give you an oportunity to put yourself in the shoes of the original designet, and will allow you to understand some of the subtleties of what they had to deal with. This last step is important, because you need to remove all the mystery out of your own mind about the machine.

8) Try to enjoy what you are doing. Think of yourself as the star athlete on a team that is down by a score and are relying on you to bring the championship. Critique yourself while you are working. Continuously ask yourself questions like (am i making the best use of my time, am I playing the odds correctly, am I following a logical deductive path to the answer). Make a science out of your approach. After you are finished, ask yourself how you could have done better. Frame this within your own mind such that it is an enjoyable process. If it isn't, maybe your meant to do something else.

9) When you do find the cause of the problem, explain to them what the problem was, what did or probably cause the problem, what is necessary to fix it, and what might be necessary to prevent it in the future.

10) If you find yourself being continuously being called out to the same problem over and over again, then you are likely a large portion of the problem. It is imporatant to really FIX the problem. Re-current problems usually expose poor engineering. Unless you enjoy being brought out to fix the same thing over and over again, tell them what needs to be done to fix it once and for all. Insist that they fix it this way. If they refuse, then it might be a sign that you need to move on. You can't help people who refuse to help themselves.

Only trust what you test!

I once got called to test two 3ph motors, just to confirm what my gaffer had tested. First thing I asked before doing an I.R and ohmic test, "...have you isolated the supplies...?" to a response of "Yes!"

At the terminal boxes tested I.R to find <2 Mohm to earth. Low but acceptible of in-service motors.

At the terminal boxes tested ohms of windings with cables still connected. Both motors showing imbalance with lower readings across U1 and V1. At this point he had confirmation of what he expected and proceeded to have motors disconnected for dispatch to repair.

I was sceptical so retested with cables disconnected. Motors were fine! Checked in panel on other side of machine to find the motor breakers still ON (no contactors in circuit) albeit machine main switch OFF.

Traced diagrams to find we were picking up on the transformer across L1 and L2.

Always check yourself!
I typically test from the panel out to the motor. If nothing untoward then fine else disconnect at motor and test.

Taking in the view is often a great start. I hate seeing guys dive in and start changing out parts without thought... Try before a Why... needless.

Keep notes. Make diagrams. Ignore the tittle-tattle of politics. I detest times when colleagues run to managers and say "Look what I've done {aint I great}".

Self-praise is no recommendation!

Last edited:
I feel your pain, because we have all been there. I tell myself that it is an object that can't out think me, menaing it can't change it's problems and I can find them and fix them. Take a deep breath, remember any training. Find the BEST operator and maintenenace tech and become their friend, buy them a pop on break, pick their brain. Weed out the operators and maintenence techs that ARE NOT going ot help you. Step away and make a game plan. Be honest with the people you are getting paid by. Have other team mates you can call on for help that will help you. You are going to be fine. Log the problems you found so you know what fix is next time. Keep copies of program logic that you struggle with and keep learing it until you have mastered it. Good Luck!

Great advice in this thread. Hopefully here is some more.

When trouble shooting you need to develop a working theory of where the problem is. You do this by all of the above mentioned methods. Once you have a theory you need to develop a logical step by step plan to prove or dis-prove your theory.
Stay with this theory until you have better information and be willing at all times to modify your theory based on information gained.

The basic steps to trouble shooting are as follows:
1. Listen/observe
2. Research the documentation
3. Formulate a theory
4. Formulate a trouble shooting plan
5. If your theory is proven to have holes go to step 3 and repeat.