OT Lone working

surferb said:
Out of curiosity, what kind of "security concerns" does a cell phone provide at your workplace?

Many cell phones have cameras and video recording capabilities. Many companies do not allow them in their plants for Intellectual Property reasons.

Comms

Here there is no cell service. In fact most of the Province is without any cell service. Radio and a time table of check-in times is the best solution. The problem here is that after you have reported the trouble... Like a massive fire in a hydraulic room.. you are still alone for 45 minutes. if your partner is hurt badly, how do you deal with this...This is a remote sawmill, but there are many more industrial sites that are even more remote. Being alone with a radio is little help if the builing you are in is burning and the nearest help is 45 min away..

SLC_Integrator said:
This may be a little controversial but I take the view that its a big-boy world and as adults and professional people we should be both sufficiently trained and experienced to work by ourselves, or else we have NO business being in this field.

Sure if its a particularly dangerous activity like live electrical work, confined space work etc then a team is definately the safest way to go.
But for day-to-day general work I think doubling up is too much. I have seen it used and abused way too much as a union tactic and as such tend to be a little more cynical.

Completely agree with this view also. Like I said in original post it is a tough issue. If you want to see a really neat dog fight throw this on the table with a bunch of safety guys. They will fight to the death and never come to agreement. There is no magic, single, one size fits all, cover all answer. Two man rule is always safer, but the second guy is often standing there trying to stay awake. That is because much of electrical and a lot of mechanical is one guy stuff only because you can only get one body in there.

As I said before.
I work alone a lot. But if I feel there is a need for a second guy I will request it. If they dont want to give me a second guy I don't do the work. As soon as I don't need second guy I send him back to doing whatever he was doing. Generally this is when I am in a hot panel doing hookup, and for damn sure when replacing bolt in breakers hot - yes I use hot gloves, safety glasses, insulated tools but still want a second guy at least to keep looky lus away from me - dont need any distractions.

Dan Bentler

Dan - sounds like you're completely agreeing with both polar conflicting views. I guess it's a situational thing with shades of gray.

leitmotif said:
Completely agree with this view also. Like I said in original post it is a tough issue.

Do you people know when you are going to have a heart attack or pass out from heat stroke or be walking by when a pallet falls over on to of you. We are just not talking about knowing your job but the unforseen. I would like someone there that could help me quicklee not in hours.

Of course...do you worry about such things when you're sitting on the toilet?

It's about balancing safety, when necessary, with practicality. I don't even know where to begin about worring about having a random heart attack or having a pallet fall over the top of you. Pay attention, be safe, by why have a buddy to perform the mundane?

Rich1955 said:
Do you people know when you are going to have a heart attack or pass out from heat stroke or be walking by when a pallet falls over on to of you. We are just not talking about knowing your job but the unforseen. I would like someone there that could help me quicklee not in hours.

I understand the need for a partner in a dangerous situation, like entering a confined space or performing dangerous work.

...think of all the single people that sit at home alone every night...Just because you're at your place of employment, suddenly your life becomes MORE important? (when performing non-life threatening tasks)

Greg

Greg Dake said:
...think of all the single people that sit at home alone every night...Just because you're at your place of employment, suddenly your life becomes MORE important? (when performing non-life threatening tasks)

Greg

Yes but they do get to go home, how many can't each year and most homes don't have machine the can kill you if you make a misstake.

The topic is working alone, I take that as no one else around or out of ear shot while you are proforming a task. How many people work off shifts where they have to go to other parts of the building by themselfs to just check something. Do you think these things should be done alone or would you like someone to go with you to be on the safe side.

Something to think about the next time it comes up. I'm not working alone, I like going home each night.

surferb said:
Dan - sounds like you're completely agreeing with both polar conflicting views. I guess it's a situational thing with shades of gray.

After 20 years in safety I think I can safely say that in this case there is NO one magic solution / policy you can set for all tasks in all workplaces. It takes an evaluation of the task and the worker capabilities, competencies, to really come up with an answer BUT that is only for one task and for ThaT employee only when you really come down to it.

Sitting in an armchair has risks but I think we can agree those are less than those of working at convenience store by self at 2 in morining, which are less than those of electrician, which are less than those of logger, which are less than those of steeplejack.

Accident wise steeplejack is most prone, followed by logger, followed a fair ways down list by electrician and a long ways down list by convenience store.

Two man rule may not be so good for a steeple jack - maybe two guys on a flagpole is not so good an idea. Sure would be handy to have guy on ground though.

Dan Bentler

Rich1955 said:
Yes but they do get to go home, how many can't each year and most homes don't have machine the can kill you if you make a misstake.

This is why I specifically indicated "when performing non life threatning tasks".

Greg

IMO this thread is loopy and getting out of hand. It obviously depends on the situation. Are you climbing Mt. Everest blindfolded or sitting in a recliner? Do you have 20 years in safety or does your name happen to be Steve-O? It depends on your stance on acceptable risk?

Accidents can happen when you least expect it (that’s why they call them accidents) and not one person knows every thing hence this forum. We can only pass off a different point of view to try to get others to think what can happen might happen, to think before they do, it mite save you and others from harm.

Remember, you are the first line of defense for safety and have to make your own chose.

Please chose wisely

Rich

surferb said:
Of course...do you worry about such things when you're sitting on the toilet?

Thats where I do most of my best work!

Also probably the only place I get any peace and quiet.
The day someone passes my cellphone under the stall door and says 'It's for you' I think I'll quit.