OT: Space Shuttle Grounded?

manmeetvirdi said:
Real real adventure
That's a new topic! Would you go into space? I'm not talking about riding the space shuttle.

I would love to see a "civilian" space force in my lifetime. I'm sure I'd put some effort into passing that physical exam.

AK

It appears to me that the duct tape is to protect the pressure suit-glove from being ripped from sharp or abrasive surfaces on the saw. BTW, great ad for Snap-On....

It's my understanding that the filler comes out more or less on a regular basis. Seems like they dont want to take ANY chances this time though...

What if a tile was missing? I wonder if they carry someting to fill in for a missing tile?

While NASA fiddles around with hacksaws and duct tape, somebody on earth using a 70 year old telescope has discovered the Tenth Planet of the Solar System! That's right! It is larger than Pluto. See this link. For generations we were taught in science courses that there could not be more than nine, because of calculations involving the centrifugal forces and so on. So much for calculations! Could this new planet be used as a spaceship to vist other stars? Maybe add a few booster volcanoes to break out of the Sun's orbit?

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/newplanet-072905-images.html

Last edited:
Mike,
I'll help you with the elevator if you'll help me with my rail gun.

I want to place a rail gun on the side of a steep mountain.

Requirements:
Near equator and near ocean pointing up.

Purpose:
Load 55 gallon drums with radioactive waste and fire them on an inwardly spiraling orbit towards the sun.

Solar powered cap banks, PLC to be determined and a link to NORAD so we whack a satellite.

Kind of a reverse take on 'The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress'

The feedback I've received so far is it would create ozone - duh, I thought the Earth was losing ozone?!. :confused:

Rod (Clueless as Usual)

Rod,

Your rail gun would add to a problem that NASA scientists used to debate during coffe break (when no members of the Press were around). That is the question of "How many space launches will it take to slow down the rotation of the earth so that the climate is changed forever?"

It seems trivial, until you realize that each launch depends entirely on the fact that the Earth is rotating very fast, and all rockets are launched from West to East, so this velocity is used to escape the Earth's gravity---at the cost of blasting millions of pounds of thrust against this orbital momentum, each launch acting as a small brake. How long before our days get slightly longer, our tempertures grow slightly hotter? How will we ever be able to recover from this effect?

Lancie,
You are right. We are scheduled to have a leap second added this year. some wiseacre was making a list of all the things to do during that time frame.

As for heat gain, I wonder how much jet engine contrails add. They appear to cause more cloud growth which attenuates surface heat back into space.

Rod (Wasting femtoseconds)

Lancie1 said:
Rod,
How long before our days get slightly longer, our tempertures grow slightly hotter?

Remember the nights will also be longer.
The rotisserie slowed down means not only hotter days, but colder nights. :eek:

Maybe if we launch enough rockets we can get the sun to rise in the West? :)

gbradley said:
Maybe if we launch enough rockets we can get the sun to rise in the West?
That's not enough of a challenge. Make it rise in the North. Or how about North on Monday, West on Tuesday, a quick up-down in the East on Wednedsay...

By the way, guys. One of the regular news magazines (Popular Science?) has something on the cover this week about high-tech tools to fight global warming. The cover art looks like a bunch of orbital reflectors.

AK

Lancie1 said:
While NASA fiddles around with hacksaws and duct tape, somebody on earth using a 70 year old telescope has discovered the Tenth Planet of the Solar System! That's right! It is larger than Pluto. See this link. For generations we were taught in science courses that there could not be more than nine, because of calculations involving the centrifugal forces and so on. So much for calculations! Could this new planet be used as a spaceship to vist other stars? Maybe add a few booster volcanoes to break out of the Sun's orbit?
The insider designation for it is Xena. Anyone want to lay odds on whether it sticks?

I think we should call it Zaphod.

AK

Alright, Lancie, I'm starting to see your point.
They're sending a guy out to change the wiper fluid or something now.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050804/ap_on_sc/space_shuttle;_ylt=Al.EouqDeCNBtHB2vEemYoGs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

This is the first time we've ever taken such a close look at the shuttle after launch. I'll bet these kinds of things are there all the time. Somebody needs to write some in-flight QAQC guidelines (right after they get back from that PR assignment at the middle school). If we don't, our future missions will be all repair and no science. We have to know if ants can be trained to sort tiny screws in space. šŸ™ƒ

My boss made an interesting comment today. These heat shield tiles: how old are they? Have they sat on a shelf since the Shuttle program began? What else has? Nobody is making new shuttle parts, are they?

AK

Guys! I think we're famous.

Chris (in the Talkstar competition) covered this subject as a topic on his radio show today. In spite of a lack of interest, he hung with it long enough to get a few calls.

AK

Mike,
I'm pretty sure all the tiles are unique. I held a reject once, about 8x10x1.25. Weighed maybe a 1/2 oz and was quite pourous except the surface was fairly smooth.

Now, if they could cast their own and did not destroy 3 to replace one...Kinda like replacing a SMD transistor in your own pace maker. SHUDDER

Course this was in the 70's and I've slept since then.

Fun things to play with when I worked in a science museum. I built the armature and mounted for exhibit Alan Bean's training space suit. I had to be finger printed - sillyness.

Rod (wore out the T-shirt)