PanelView 550 troubles

zk0

Hello all,

I am currently addressing a failing screen on a PV550. The first thing I did was upload the program onto an Allen Bradley memory card and try downloading it onto a replacement PV550. It recognizes the filename on the memory card but when I attempt to restore from card it gives error 393 - file not compatible.

The bad panel is labeled CAT 2711-T5A16L1, SER B, FRN 4.46
The replacement panel is labeled CAT 2711-T5A16L1, SER B, REV B, FRN 4.41

Are these two panels really incompatible for programs?
I wouldn't know where to begin for connecting a panel to a PC, would likely need IT to set up a legacy virtual machine.

I've considered ordering parts to make a repair in house if I can't move the program to the good panel, are the touch screen and display separate?

How would you suggest I proceed?

Given those numbers I would expect the file from one to be compatible with the other (the file should be compatible for any PV with matching cat # and firmware 4.10 or above).

Can you access the config pages and confirm that the panels are exact matches for catalog number, and what the actual firmware is? I have seen Panelviews refurbished by 3rd parties where the label was not accurate.

For connecting from a PC you would need Panelbuilder32 and a serial connection (and RSLinx, but that's free). I have done it on Windows 10 with a USB serial connector and straight serial cable.

On the config page Terminal Info, both panels have identical boot, firmware and hardware IDs.

Could connecting to PC make it possible to perform the program transfer?

Without knowing why it's failing with the memory card, I have no real idea whether transferring from PC would work any better.

Can you move the file you uploaded off the memory card, zip it & post it here? We can at least verify whether the issue is the file.

I'll need to look around and see if there is any cable/ hardware for me to connect the memory card to PC.

The panel to be replaced is still running okay, would that imply the file is okay?

It suggests the file on the terminal is ok. What I'd like to know for sure is if the copy on the memory card (that you want to load on the new one) is good. If it will open in PanelBuilder32 I can also check what catalog # and firmware it is set for, since that's what would usually cause that error.

My suggestion would be to format a memory card using the format option from the PanelView and then transfer the file to the memory card.

I would just try to save it again, maybe the first save didn't go right.

And KuulKuum's formatting advice sounds like a good idea to do first.

At least you have a -T5A16....., every one I seem to come across is a -T5A5 that isn't RS-232, but needs the UIC for DH485.

I agree that formatting the card with the terminal itself might be a good next step.

In theory, this should work: any ATA flash card formatted with FAT16 that can be written by the old terminal should also be readable by the new terminal.

Maybe the *.PVA file itself is corrupted, or the card is writable but not readable (which would be very weird).

2711-T5A16L1 part number "16" means it has both a DF1 Full Duplex RS-232 port as well as an RS-232 port that is for running a serial printer. You should be able to upload/download from it using RSLinx with an ordinary DF1 Full Duplex driver set for Ch0/Micro/PanelView device type, and a "straight through" serial cable.

The first time I plugged in the memory card to a panel it made me format it before anything else. After the first download failure, I formatted the card again and reuploaded the file off the bad panel with the same results.

There is a switch on the card I've been curious about, labeled
OFF - ON
(W/P only)​

I wasn't able to locate the proper memory card reader. I have the serial cables I need, but I suppose I need to acquire PB32 to do any file transferring via PC.

edit: The memory card is a 2711-NM11

Last edited:
OK, that's a classic "Linear Flash" memory card. Most modern ATA Flash card readers or interfaces won't work with it at all, so you're already using it for its limited purpose of removable storage for the PanelView Standard terminals. Presumably the "W/P" switch is for Write Protection.

The PanelView Standard transfer utility is a standalone program from PanelBuilder32, but of course it's normally packaged with and installed along with PanelBuilder32.

I don't know if RA will even sell you PanelBuilder32 anymore. In general I would ask my local RA distributor for help with that.

PanelBuilder32 is still available for download... vers. 3.83.00 & .01
I am not sure what it would take to access the download, but it is available to me probably because of my companies TechConnect access.

PanelBuilder32 is still available for download... vers. 3.83.00 & .01
I am not sure what it would take to access the download, but it is available to me probably because of my companies TechConnect access.

Downloading is simple, especially if it shows as an option.

To install it you need the 10 digit Serial Number, that for PanelBuilder32 starts with 2301.

It may need the Product Key or Order Number too, I haven't reinstalled it in quite a while so I'm not sure.

To install it you need the 10 digit Serial Number, that for PanelBuilder32 starts with 2301.

Unless you have the older licensing Serial Number that was used by the Master Disk EVRSI (Everlock) in my case it is an 8 alpha-numeric serial number starting with ST******. The license information could still be on the original 3.5" floppy.

Last edited:
Unless you have the older licensing Serial Number that was used by the Master Disk EVRSI (Everlock) in my case it is an 8 alph-numeric serial number starting with ST******. The license information could still be on the original 3.5" floppy.

PanelBuilder did NOT use the EVRSI licensing, just needed a good serial number to install.
I just checked my spare laptop that only has PanelBuilder and no RSLogix software and it doesn't even have a EVRSI or 386SWAP file on the hard drive.