PanelView Plus 7 Performance Series A FW12 - Lost Password and Out Of Memory

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,

I have several systems that we use the CSV export feature.
One of the issues with this feature, is that you cannot enter a remote location, the path must be local (Internal PanelView Memory, or USB STORAGE or USB STORAGE2 or STORAGE CARD2).

The other issue, is that if the CSV Export is Triggered when the Path is not available (USB Full, formatted wrong, not recognized, too many files etc), the PanelView will create a folder
matching your entry in the Path configuration. So if you have USB STORAGE, the PanelView will create a folder called “USB STORAGE” and now all your exports will be dumping to the very limited PanelView Plus internal memory.

The only way out of this loop is to remove the folder (by accessing desktop, or VNC file transfer feature), and rebooting and pray that the HMI recognizes the USB thumb drive again as “USB STORAGE”.

This brings me to my real issue, purpose of this post.

One of my customers is Out OF Memory, and the HMI will not load. They have Audit Trail CSV exports that are no doubt sitting on his internal memory, and to make matters worse,
they have lost the Exit to Desktop Password, and they do not remember the answer to the challenge question.

They need the Audit Trail Exports, and I would like to try and get the data for them.

I have them checking today if VNC is still open.

If VNC is open, then they can grab the Audit Trail CSV exports, and check to see what is using up all the memory of the PanelView.

If VNC is not open, they will lose the data (que sera sera) as I will need to reset to defaults, flash to latest FW, enable VNC, set up Active Directory and reload MER.

Is there a way to see the Exit to Desktop Password or Challenge answer for the HMI in VNC File Transfer? Is it stored in the file system somewhere? DM me if possible, I will not tell anyone.

The other problem I see quite a bit is the Out Of Memory error, and I do not understand why this is happening on some systems and not others. Usually, I see that the customer has pointed the data logging (ActiveX)
to internal memory.

On occasion I find that the TEMP folder is full of TMP files, and after deleting them, the HMI can reload.

Has anyone else experienced the tmp files in the temp folder resulting in Out Of Memory errors?

If you did, what did you find was causing this, and what if anything did you do to resolve it.

I am waiting for Series B to arrive, but fear this may be Bleeding Edge for months/years, and also VNC is not available on initial release of the FW.

Thanks for reading this far, I hope you have a good one!

You can use an autorun.bat batch file on a usb drive to extract files from the PV. Search this site for examples.
In fact if you are able to turn on VNC if it is off. I figured it out once but lost it in a hard drive crash. I used google to search Windows CE dos commands to turn services on and off.

I also know if you plug in a usb keyboard and hit the Windows key, sometimes you can get to the desktop, but not always.

Last edited:
You can use an autorun.bat batch file on a usb drive to extract files from the PV. Search this site for examples.
In fact if you are able to turn on VNC if it is off. I figured it out once but lost it in a hard drive crash. I used google to search Windows CE dos commands to turn services on and off.

I also know if you plug in a usb keyboard and hit the Windows key, sometimes you can get to the desktop, but not always.

Wow, thanks, great info! I will try, still waiting to hear back from the customer.

I just realized that if you put the following in your autorun.bat file, then you have access to windows explorer....

\windows\explorer.exe

That's a good one too.
Also search this site for autorun.bat and you will find even more tricks.
I'll bet there's even a way to shutdown FTViewME so you have the full desktop. Time to dust off my PV and give it a try.