PCIS in VM

T Gibbs

I have the PCIS software on a windows 7 64 bit laptop. In my experience with other DOS based software they will not work in DOSBOX on a 64 bit machine. Because of that I have downloaded Windows Virtual PC in the XP version. I have the software installed and it works, but I can't get it to connect to the SLC100. I'm not exactly sure I have the ports configured correctly to work in the VM. This virtual machine stuff is new to me, so if someone could point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it.

What communication interface/cable/adapter are you using trying to connect to the SLC100 CPU? A USB-to-Serial adapter by any chance? Is said adapter compatible with Win XP?

Any peripheral communication device will need to be first installed and configured on the Host machine and then installed and configured on the VM; any virtualization platform offers a peripheral Disconnect (from Host)/Connect (to Guest) tool.

PCIS? Really? I'd go and retire that poor SLC 100/150 ...

Oh well, if you are stuck with it... I remember the interface converter, from serial to the SLC100/150, I seem to remember that it wasn't particularly difficult to get running with various bus speeds, so that most likely isn't an issue, but that it did want true and direct access to the hardware COM ports. Instead of DOSBOX, which virtualizes a COM port under a virtualized Windows XP virtual COM port, you might try just creating a plain DOS VM... or, even booting to a DOS image on a USB drive, and running the PCIS software from there.

PCIS? Really? I'd go and retire that poor SLC 100/150 ...

Oh well, if you are stuck with it... I remember the interface converter, from serial to the SLC100/150, I seem to remember that it wasn't particularly difficult to get running with various bus speeds, so that most likely isn't an issue, but that it did want true and direct access to the hardware COM ports. Instead of DOSBOX, which virtualizes a COM port under a virtualized Windows XP virtual COM port, you might try just creating a plain DOS VM... or, even booting to a DOS image on a USB drive, and running the PCIS software from there.

Actually I am getting rid of it. I just need to get the program out so I can convert it to a new PLC.

What communication interface/cable/adapter are you using trying to connect to the SLC100 CPU? A USB-to-Serial adapter by any chance? Is said adapter compatible with Win XP?

Any peripheral communication device will need to be first installed and configured on the Host machine and then installed and configured on the VM; any virtualization platform offers a peripheral Disconnect (from Host)/Connect (to Guest) tool.

I'm using the 1745-PCC adapter from plccable.com

Do you have a Serial RS-232 port on your PC?
If not, do you have a USB-to-Serial adapter?

The procedure related to connecting VMs to Host connected peripheral devices (such as a USB-to-Serial adapter) is virtualization software dependent.

I am exclusively using VMware for automation software virtual machines; in VMware, you will first first connect the peripheral to the Host PC and configure it (or let it auto-configure); after the peripheral is functional within the Host OS, you'd start the VM and then, using the VM software tools 'disconnect' the peripheral from the Host and 'connect' it to the Guest OS; depending of the Guest OS the peripheral might install itself or the user will have to do it manually.

Do you have a Serial RS-232 port on your PC?
If not, do you have a USB-to-Serial adapter?

The procedure related to connecting VMs to Host connected peripheral devices (such as a USB-to-Serial adapter) is virtualization software dependent.

I am exclusively using VMware for automation software virtual machines; in VMware, you will first first connect the peripheral to the Host PC and configure it (or let it auto-configure); after the peripheral is functional within the Host OS, you'd start the VM and then, using the VM software tools 'disconnect' the peripheral from the Host and 'connect' it to the Guest OS; depending of the Guest OS the peripheral might install itself or the user will have to do it manually.

This is a USB cable so no need for a converter. I'm using Windows Virtual PC. Haven't had much time to fool with it this week. I had to go out of town for 4 days. Just got back to the plant today and am now having to catch up, plus start several new things that I acquired while on my trip.

When I plugged it in, the laptop acted as if the driver was already there. It didn't do any install, but I can go to my device manager and see it when it's plugged in.