PCM301 comms issue

Blackadder77

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me please.

We have a PCM301 card that has stopped working for some reason on a 90-30 PLC (possibly due to a duff battery which has been replaced). It is being used to do some maths and move the results to some analog outputs. I have a megabasic program for it but when using the PCOP software on a windows laptop, I have no comms. Pressing the restart button doesn't seem to make a difference either. I'm using a 9-pin female to 25-pin male (connected to port 2 of the wye cable). I've tried various comms settings and serial cable configurations but am getting nowhere. On another thread I found a pinout that does make the US2 led on the card flash but still no comms on PCOP. The pinout I have is:

2-2
3-3
7-5
5-7
8-4
20-8

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For PCOP connections you should be using port 1 on the PCM module.

PCOP is kind of finicky. Have you tried doing a "hard reset" of the PCM module? Hold the white reset button for more than 5 seconds. Less than 5 seconds is a "soft reset" which will restart the default program and won't do anything if you've lost that program due to a battery failure.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.
I think I did try port 1 already but I'll try it again tomorrow, I'm just about to head off home. I have tried both soft and hard resets too to no avail.

What OS are you working with? The last time I tried connecting to a PCM it was with DOSbox on a Windows XP machine which had a real serial port. That PC has since given up the ghost but I've not needed to try a connection using anything newer or with a USB/serial converter.

After changing the cable over to port 1, now I have the US1 led flashing every 6 seconds or so but still no comms.

The laptop i'm currently using has Windows XP with a real serial port. I have also tried a Windows 7 laptop with a serial to USB converter.

The flashing LED indicates traffic on the port. If it started flashing when you plugged something into it, that indicates whatever you plugged in is the source of the traffic. A brief flash every six seconds indicates the sender isn't getting a response, or not the expected response. That's usually due to a mismatch of port settings.

On the edit configuration data menu, F6 "edit serial port config for ports 1 & 2", this is the only place I can see to change port settings and they are the same as the com1 port settings in device manager. The megabasic config is set to use com1 but I just noticed an advanced config menu where there's "edit programmer comms" settings. These are set to NULL for programmer comms data so is there anything I need to change there?

As I don't seem to be getting anywhere with the connection issue, the other option is looking at the .PGM file to see if I can replicate it in the ladder logic instead. Does anyone know what software I can use to view the .PGM file please? I've searched the internet without finding anything that works so far. The best I can find just opened it up like a notepad file which, apart from a few lines, didn't make any sense to me.