Pepperl+Fuchs AS-i gateway question

stretch_af

I'm an AS-i noob. We are the end users of systems. We use outside engineers to develop systems for us. We received a large upgrade to a system recently. Most of the new system digital remote I/O uses AS-i network . I am reverse engineering things to see how it works. I wanted to go online with the Pepperl+Fuchs (VBG-ENX-K20-DMD) AS-i gateway webpage interface just because. There is a popup that states "Warning! Outputs may be reset" The manual doesn't really say much regarding this warning. Is it safe to proceed? Might the I/O just blip for a second or get disabled?

Thanks
Justin

Capture.PNG

Hi Drinking in Wisconsin, do you know why the beer from the factory taste much better than the ones sold in store? Do you get any beer stipend?

I'm an AS-i noob. We are the end users of systems. We use outside engineers to develop systems for us. We received a large upgrade to a system recently. Most of the new system digital remote I/O uses AS-i network . I am reverse engineering things to see how it works. I wanted to go online with the Pepperl+Fuchs (VBG-ENX-K20-DMD) AS-i gateway webpage interface just because. There is a popup that states "Warning! Outputs may be reset" The manual doesn't really say much regarding this warning. Is it safe to proceed? Might the I/O just blip for a second or get disabled?

Thanks
Justin

Hello. This gateway is an EtherNet/IP adapter and AS-i master, if I understand correctly. If the EtherNet/IP scanner (ControlLogix or CompactLogix in your case?) is "owning" the gateway (i.e. there is cyclic communication normally established between the scanner and the AS-i gateway), I would imagine it should not matter if you try to diagnose the gateway with the embedded web server. This is because I find it hard to think the web server application overriding outputs being sent by the scanner. But if the scanner is not working and the gateway has been configured on the scanner side to hold the outputs when cyclic communication is interrupted, it could be in this case that the outputs get reset by this diagnostics tool. So the question is, if the scanner is not running, what would happen to your system if the outputs of the AS-i system are reset. I would advice you attempt this the first time when the line is not in production, just in case.

Last edited: