Philosophical Illusion?

Terry wrote "......." so friggin much that my head's starting to hurt again and I've stayed away from the beers. Leave it to Mister Woods to get so much out of nothing! You are truly talented.

So here's my vote, my position, my take on it, my story and I'm stickin to it: Zero is an ENTITY. If Terry gave me zero of his funny cookies, which I'm convinced are laced with something, he gave me nothing AND something. That something is nothing, making his nothing and all it's synanyms (sp?) SOMETHING! Check the definition of the word noun and then wonder how a small English Language basic made it into a Math problem. (Thanks Rube--you had to screw it up even more).

If this is not enough to satisfy, then here's Plan B: Zero is an even number--it is spelled with an even number of letters, an even number of vowels, an even number of consonants, and using the scenario A=1, B=2, etc., the combined letter value of the letters forming the word Zero is an even number, 66.

Now I need a beer.

Terry, stop confusing the kids!

They have more important things to think about. There are too many PLCs to choose from. Too many fieldbuses to choose from. There are so many choices to make it truely boggles the mind. There are so many things to learn about it can make ones head hurt. There are sooooo many options and partical things to learn about. Isn't it wonderful? At least life will never be dull for an active mind.

What ever happened to that wonderful art work/examples Terry did in the past? I haven't seen much of that lately.

I did like the question about whether infinity is even or odd. I agree with the UK guys. This topic is best discussed in a pub over a glass of Guiness where one can stare at the bubbles an also wonder why they keep appearing for so long. Why is it so hard to get a good glass of Guiness outside of the UK and Ireland? This is a much more important question than whether a number is doubly odd or even, what ever that means.

As far a I am concerned. If the least significant bit is zero then the number is even, otherwise it is odd. It is that simple and isn't worthy of distracting me from admiring those bubbles.

I think we all need to toast Terry for a wonderful, even odd, thread. My brain is now totally warpped, and it will most likely take a hard weekend of elbow bending to straighen it out.

Cheers all!!!!

David

Peter Nachtwey said:
Why is it so hard to get a good glass of Guiness outside of the UK and Ireland?

Peter

That might be because that is where the Guiness breweries are. But in the near future that is going to change. All Guiness will be brewed in Ireland, Dublin to be more precise.

Guiness, in their infinite wisdom have decided to shut their largest brewery down and move all production to their plant in Dublin. The brewery they are shutting down is the one at Park Royal in West London, so your question might soon state.. Why is it so hard to get a good glass of Guiness outside of Ireland?

There is one thing to be wary of, the London brewery turns out 3 times as much Guiness as it's Dublin counterpart, at the moment the Dublin plant is running at full capacity, so how are they going to produce the amount of Guiness needed to quench the thirst of the many millions of Guiness drinkers around the world? The answer probably is, they are not. Be warned all you Guiness drinkers out there, stock up on your supplies now!

Paul

UP THE IRISH!!!
I LOVE 'EM, no $hit... but they can keep their Guiness!
Actually, they might have done better to let the British have it!
I just ain't a warm-beer kinda guy.
I'd like to think that Ireland has refrigeration these days... as in, Cold-Filtered, and COLD!
I'm going to Ireland next year for a few weeks... near Shannon.... to visit my Dad's family.
I'm sure I'm pi$$ing in the wind when I hope that... maybe... perhaps... one of those Pubs might have a nice old-n-COLD MGD sitting in the back corner of the cooler or ice-chest.

Does AirLingus have all of these goofy passenger inspections like we do?

Peter...

I'm always willing to do a full-blown, graphically illustrated (sometimes animated) explanation when I feel there is a "compelling" reason to do so. Of course then, there's always the question of, compelling reason aside, do I feel like doing it at all... that is, is the reason compelling enough.

I can really appreciate why some of my college professors looked so burned out and really didn't give a damn. It's really hard to teach those that don't care.

Eric...

Yes... Yes, I think that might be me... "ZEROMAN!" (KMAE)

Back to that most important question of ODD & EVEN...

Akreel said...

"Look at it in the binary world. I can continue to divide by two (bit shift, if you like) until I have a 1 in the lowest bit. So, it all comes down to POWERS of two."

This brings to the surface an interesting aspect of the difference between "machine math" and "human math".

In machine math, the determination of ODD vs. EVEN is made by simply examining the LSB to see if it is a "0" or a "1". The Division operation is not required at all; neither in longhand, nor MOD, nor REAL DIV, nor bit-shift. The answer simply lays in the LSB!

In "human math" the determination is not made until AFTER the TEST, that is, after the division operation. That applies to whatever kind of division you use, INCUDING bit-shift. In the case of bit-shift, you have to be WATCHING for the bit that is shifted out! 1-out = ODD, 0-out = Even.

There are many such "quirky" differences between machine math and human math. If you are aware and pay attention, these differences can be made to work to your advantage! (envision me doing the "In the Know" Finger-off-the-nose, as in "The Sting".)

TANGENTS RULE!

In process control, when it comes to studying one particular area, one learns more from looking at and understanding the myriad of other concepts that exist in the world rather than simply studying the hell out of that one particular area with blinders on.

Narrow scope => narrow vision... narrow vision => narrow possibilities.

MGD is goog, but I wish you could get it ondraft, at least you can't around here. But we can get a visit once in a while from Rusty Wallace. He flies in once in a while to our local airport in his jet, and visits a nearby Miller distributor.

Two MGD's, and I am happy, three, and I don't have a clue. so back to the Miller Lite...... I 0 I I I beers on the wall.......

oooooooohhhh my head.....casey

kc9ih said:
MGD is goog

Goog?... Slurred typing is a sure sign of PUI (Posting Under the Influence)...
4.gif

beerchug

-Eric

Terry Woods said:
but they can keep their Guiness!....I just ain't a warm-beer kinda guy.
I'd like to think that Ireland has refrigeration these days... as in, Cold-Filtered, and COLD!

The Guiness that you will get in Ireland and the UK is COLD, there is even an Extra-cold version. So I don't know what you Yanks are doing to it if you serve it up warm.

You might get the impression from my replies and my avator that I am a Guiness drinker, but I am not! I tend to drink good ol' British real ales, mainly in the 5% ABV range, the 4.something percenters do not have the same kick as the 5's.

Paul

onto important stuff

Glad we finished the odd/even/what-is-zero debate and moved on to a far more interesting subject.
There are a number of pubs down here in NZ that have Guiness on tap, as well as Kilkenny, Speckled Hen, Bass, Kronenbourg, Stella Artois - to mention a few. As far as I know, Miller Genuine Draught is only available in bottles, as is Labatt's Blue, Moosehead and others. For the Philistines, you can even get (yecch) Budweiser.

I remember when I was in Australia, there a wonderful brew...I think it was Red Lion. Of course I also drank mass quantities of Foster's. And many Bundies and Coke.....hmmmm.....drinking. 🍺

Paul,

There is an Irish meeting house on the far Southside of Chicago that serves Guiness on draft and it is very cold! It is an acquired taste though. I cannot pound them down like the pilsners. A little to heavy on the stomach.

Damn it! Now I need to go crack a cold one. The local Jewel's had 12 pack Foster's on sale for $9.99...

Bob "as Irish as they come" Hanrahan

philosophical illusion?

Hi,

When I did maths at college we were told that zero was not
a number but a limit to which a variable would approach.
if you had a division say,you would make the denominator
smaller and smaller ie go to zero,in order to see what
the quotient was approaching.This limiting idea as most know is
the basis of the calculus.The variable approaches zero but
never gets there.
Division by zero is undefined and not allowed in maths.

A similar question might be "Is j a number?"
Some would argue that j is an operator.