Philosophical Illusion?

I have blonde hair, but don't have white out all over my computer monitor.

Eric wrote:
Posts can only be edited for 60 minutes, so I'm done. It's not really gone though, I just grabbed a black highlighting marker...

Does he write on his monitor with a sharpie marker?

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 zeroes on the wall, take one down, pass it around, who can tell how many zeroes are on the wall???

Wish I had a brewski.

Q U E S T I O N ? ? ?

A brewski in the hand is worth how many on the wall?

............casey

P.S. Eric

goog = good, here I've been PUI and thought I was just a goog engineer, 'cause enginneres can't spel!

Last edited:
Terry Woods said:
Bob Hanrahan...

I'm from the far South-Side of Chicago...

Where exactly is this place you are talking about?

Terry,

It is the Chicago GaelicPark in Oak Forest. The address is 6119 W. 147th St. Oak Forest, Illinois 60452.

Here is their website. http://www.cgp-chicago.org/Irish_Fest/irish_fest.htm

It is a pretty cool place. Built entirely by Irshmen as a place to call their own. Nice bit of history behind it. I took my wife and daughters to Irishfest there last year. It was the first time I had been there. It opened in 1985.

Bob

Bob...

Hmmm... imagine that! I actually lived on 147th in Oak Park for a few months before moving my new wife out to Portland! That was more than a few years ago.

If you go to the link you posted and then display the map showing how to get to the Fest, my Dad's house is laying smack-dab under the 294 sign on 111th, about a half-mile East of Ridgeland. That area is called Chicago Ridge.

I know the IrishFest well. I've been lucky enough to be back to Chicago a couple of times while the Fest was on. My family, throughout Southside Chicagoland, has been going to it for years. "Not going" was never an option!

It's been a few years since the last time I was back... I don't recall seeing that Pub. I'll look for it next time!

Thanks!

Terry

This odd/even/infinity discussion got me thinking of a discussion we had a college once ... actually at the local pizza & beer establishment... it started with the old joke: if Einstein is traveling in a convertable at the speed of light and he turns his headlights on, will he see them?

First we determined that that is how his hair got so messed up when you see him in all those pictuers.

Then we reasoned that as you move , you are going through a space in certain time. As you move faster, you are moving through more space in less time. So as you approach an infinite velocity, you are moving through all space in no time and there is nowhere left to go... so you must be standing still.

Sturgen General WARNING... thinking about this in an un-krausened state can be bad for your health

viva 'la tangent

Re: philosophical illusion?

George2 said:
A similar question might be "Is j a number?"
Some would argue that j is an operator.

Imaginary numbers make a good topic. I don't see what is so imaginary about them as they describe oscillations and I know that things can oscillate or vibrate. I don't imagine that.

Sometime this summer imaginary numbers will be relevant.

Casey wrote

I sure hope he is not predicting gas prices.

Yea, then you could only pay at the pump with your LaPlace Transformed dollars.

Note, the credit for the original quote goes to Peter N.

Testsubject...

As Steven Wright once said, "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."

Back to beer...

Yes, it is hard to find a good pint of Guinness outside of Ireland. Part of the reason I moved here...

Yes, Paul, they are now brewing the entire world supply here in Dublin-- but only the "essence", a sort of concentrated syrup. That is then exported to the different breweries around the world where it is then watered down to local taste. All so that they don't have to change that little bit on the label where it states "brewed in St. James gate, Dublin".

Yes, Terry, you can find bottled MGD in many pubs here-- in the fridge with the other "imports". You pay more for a bottle of MGD (or Butt-Wiper, the king of beers) than you do for a pint of good stuff!

I think I need a pint or 2, just read most of this thread while sober and now my head hurts... :D

Bob...

Next time I'm back in town, we'll have to drag the old men out for a beer.

Well... having solved the "philosophical illusion" question... That portion of the thread appears closed, done.

Of course there is always room for discussing the merits of ambrosia.

So, I see Albert sitting at the wheel of a 1969 Catalina convertable.
But then, the image of Albert is replaced by Santa Claus! Then back to Albert.... continuously flipping back and forth. Then I see them sitting side by side in the convertable.

Hmmm... There's a story developing in there somewhere.

It's obvious that Santa Claus gave that relativity idea to Albert. After all, Santa Claus has been playing that game for a long time!

hmmm...

I guess it's a good thing that we can't travel at infinite velocity. Being in all places in no time means you can't even sneak out for a beer! Now that would be a revolting development!