PlantPAX and Guardlogix

Skreis

Hello, I am trying to design a new system using the latest and greatest in PlantPAX but also wanting to use STO over ethernet for vfd's. The newest PlantPAX controllers do not come in guardlogix so I would have to use an older version of the PlantPAX and import whatever I needed from that library. Any advice on this?

Is there a way to do STO over ethernet without a guardlogix processor?

Is using the 4.1 library of PlantPAX instructions much different than using the latest PlantPAX instructions that are already embedded in the firmware?

From my understanding you do not need an ERP/EP processor to use the 4.1 library.

Last edited:
Any form of safety IO (backplane, Ethernet, etc.) requires a safety processor.

v4 of the library will work with any controller, yes. Some of the downloadable AOIs for v5 will work - if any of them reference the v5 built-ins, they won't.

You should also be careful when attempting to import v5 AOIs. Some will reference those v5 built-ins in hard-to-find ways and if you don't delete them, a non-P controller project won't compile.

Last edited:
You should also be careful when attempting to import v5 AOIs. Some will reference those v5 built-ins in hard-to-find ways and if you don't delete them, a non-P controller project won't compile.

In my experience, the import fails if the processor isn't P rated, I believe.

@Skreis, can't you add a Safety Partner though? As I understood from the Rockwell peeps, the P controllers can work with safety provided they have a safety partner in the rack.

Last edited:
In my experience, the import fails if the processor isn't P rated, I believe.

@Skreis, can't you add a Safety Partner though? As I understood from the Rockwell peeps, the P controllers can work with safety provided they have a safety partner in the rack.

That's the thing, the import doesn't fail. Just the attempt to compile/download.