powerflex 750 noise issues

What we did to stabilize this motor

Just for your Powerflex users out there.

Enter the Motor and drive data through the wizard.

Autotune the motor this includes the motor direction test. (If the motor is running in the wrong direction, change the phasing at the drive output).
Redo the direction test.
So assuming all went well, you should still be in a Wizard of some sorts.
The next test is the inertia test. We decided to go ahead and do this test as putting the inertia value to 1.0 does nothing for the mechanical system. My issue was that a value of 2 or higher will make a lot of noise inside the motor.

What I failed to recognize was that the inertia test has not "locked" any value to the drive settings. So the inertia test I believe is done open loop. The motor is spun up to 60% maximum speed and the Torque setting is set to 40 or 50%. Initiate the inertia test and if all is good this will rotate the loaded motor to 60% of base speed. On inertia test completion the Inertia is calculated in our case it was like 12.45 and the Bandwidth had a value of 10.

So now complete the wizard you will be asked maximum speed accel and deccel time etc. On completion of the wizard a summary is given to the user and you have the ability to accept the new values. Once there accepted we ended up doing the following:

Reduce the torque output to 15% This allowed us to energize the motor with minimal noise (at 200% you could hear the motor outside the plant).

Reduce the BW to a new starting number we started at 1.00 and moved north from there. When we started hearing noise (at zero reference) we backed off so we were at 2.75 and felt the number was ok.

So at this point we used controllogix to trend the following values: Speed Error, Torque Output, Speed output, DB Braking Active.

The trends were conclusive that 2.75 was way to high at low speeds the speed error was minimal but each time we increased the speed by 100 Rpm we would get more noise, each time lowering the BW value reduced the noise impact. Eventually we settled on 1.9 or 1.85 and this number would allow us to bring the motor to full speed (1800 RPM)and we also tested the fast stop braking power so 1800 RPM to 0 in 20 seconds. to verify that the DB brake was energizing.

In the end there were several issues, one of the main issues that we came across was the inability of the drive to stop the motor. We had entered all the right parameters (resistance 6.15 Ohm, Wattage 3400 Watts) but we missed the Joule per pulse measurement. Initially this parameter was also set to 3400 watts but was changed to 150,000 watts and then from the manufacturer this was changed to 190,000 Watts (190000 watts of pulsed energy, not continuous)

How and when the drive records the drive settings. Accel and deccel are after the speed direction test. These values should be adjusted before going through the wizard.

In the end the motor is quite and runs smoothly. This was a difficult startup.