PV 600 Plus - ****pit Trouble

glaw said:
Is there another option for downloading a file into a PVP600?

Does the PVP600 have a compactflash card slot? If so, you can download that way, but there's still a chance that the communications are not set up correctly.

glaw said:
Someone mentioned to me earlier that if linx was running it would cause probelms. I shut it down but it starts up each time i start my computer then i shut it down. Is this a problem? is there a way to make linx not start with your pc?

This is really not a problem, as long as you turned it off before trying to use RSLinx Enterprise. But it is possible to prevent RSLinx from starting each time you start your PC. You must go into the RSLinx launch control panel and make sure the box "always run as a service" is un-checked. (See screen shots)

path.gif

launch.gif

Same problem, different time zone

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone ever got this to work. I am using the exact same equipment trying to do the exact same thing. My only differences are that I am using COM1 and my software is CPR7. My com port will initialize, the application runs and test great on the PC. I cannot download it to the PV+ though. I get the following error when I try to download:

Transfer failed due to general CIP status 0x01 extended status 0x0204.

This is also a PV+600 with no ethernet port. We have also had problems downloading serially to other models, and I usually have resorted to using the ethernet port on those. Thanks.

Russ

Last edited:
RSLinx Enterprise not ready for prime time

russrmartin said:
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone ever got this to work. I am using the exact same equipment trying to do the exact same thing. My only differences are that I am using COM1 and my software is CPR7. My com port will initialize, the application runs and test great on the PC. I cannot download it to the PV+ though. I get the following error when I try to download:

Transfer failed due to general CIP status 0x01 extended status 0x0204.

This is also a PV+600 with no ethernet port. We have also had problems downloading serially to other models, and I usually have resorted to using the ethernet port on those. Thanks.

Russ

I've done it with a 600+ and no ethernet port. Part number was a 2711P-T6M5D. Additionally, I am running XP with SP2. I am using v4.00 CPR7 of RSView Studio.

I, too, had communication issues, especially if I would swap cables to/from the PLC/PanelView. Sometimes I would test screens with my PLC hooked up and then build the application. After swapping cables to the PLC, I would disconnect the PLC and hook up the PanelView in its place. But when I opened the transfer utility. The PLC would show up and not the PanelView. If I click on the PLC and hit the download button it would download anyways. I think the browsing and auto-recognize stuff in RSLinx Enterprise is not ready for prime-time.

Many times RSLinx Enterprise would stop working for no apparent reason. A PC reboot would take care of the problem. I said 'no apparent reason' but if I would close RSView Studio, open RSLinx Classic & RSLogix, change the PLC program, close RSLogix & RSLink Classic, and re-open Studio it would always fail to communicate. Moral of the story... reboot and open Studio -- don't open RSLinx Classic unless you wish to reboot. A/B Tech support also told me that I should actually delete the driver in RSLinx Classic or it could affect RSLinx Enterprise. What a pain. RSLinx Enterprise is really a joke. It seems that RSLinx Classic may 'hold onto' the serial port when it shouldn't...

Things actually seemed to work better once I obtained a USB hub and a second USB to serial converter. I dedicated one serial port specifically to RSLinx Enterprise and the other to RSLinx Classic. This seemed to allow RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise to run simulateously. Swapping PLC and PanelView cables so I could test my screens on the PC actually worked, too.

Well, this has been somewhat long, but hopefully I have all my details right. Moral of the story -- if you only have one serial port - only open RSLinx Classic or RSLinx Enterprise at one time, and reboot before opening the other. If things won't work or stop working, reboot.

Aaron

PS: You can also tranfer applications with a CompactFlash card. I did this a few times. It is probably faster than using serial DF1...

PhilipW said:
I can possibly get some time today to set this up on the bench and go through the details for myself.

However I wonder if you could try two things:

1. Set the Autoconfig up in RSLinx, not the PVPlus

2. Give them two different Station Addresses, ie 0 and 1.

What is the purpose of Station Addresses with a DF1 connection? Isn't DF1 point-to-point?

In RSLogix, on the Channel Configuration Tab, is the source ID the same as the Station ID?

Aaron

Russ,

I have often been frustrated trying to use a DF1 download connection to a PV+. Even if you get it to work it is painfully slow. I now always use a compact flash card. It works great and it is fast. One thing I learned. Don't allow the communications settings to be over-written each time. After doing this a half-dozen times with no problems I ended up with something corrupted and I lost comms with the PLC. Ended up having to restore the communications settings back to factory defaults.

Up and Working

Thanks for the help guys. My system is up and working. I was warned of the rewriting comms problem before also. I think the main problem I was having consisted of trying to use the driver for more than one thing. Once I deleted the driver I had used to test the app, and created a new DF1 driver and added the PV+600, set to auto config, and all was well. You are correct though, this is a small file, and it is terribly slow. Thanks again.

Russ