Red Lion DSPLE000 EDS Files

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is anyone able to help me out with the EDS files for a Red Lion DSPLE000? There are very few EDS files findable on the Red Lion website, and that's not one of them.

For EtherNet/IP, or for the DeviceNet option module ?

In general you don't need an EDS for those devices; the CIP Adapter driver just configures as a generic module in Studio 5000 if you're connecting to one as an Adapter.

Or do you have a 3rd party EtherNet/IP "Scanner" that requires an EDS to create a connection ?

Ethernet/IP. It looks like I don't actually need it after all - I was just trying to get some information about it and thought I might be able to do it in FT Linx. A device was showing up at it's supposed address with a yellow question mark, but it turns out on further investigation, that the documented address is wrong and that was an entirely different device (for which I also don't have an EDS file, but that's moot).

So it appears that it doesn't show up in FTLinx (or RSLinx) at all, so my next move is to upload the configuration into Crimson 3 and see if I can get the information that way. However Crimson 3 and 3.2 both just give the error: The device does not contain an uploadable image. I'm confident I have the right IP address this time because if I point it to a different one (with either nothing on it, or a non-Red Lion device on it), I get a different error about being unable to open the communication port. Interestingly, I also get the same "unable to open communication port" error if I try to upload from Crimson 2 and Crimson 3.1. Not sure why 3.0 and 3.2 can "see" it, but not 3.1.

So it appears that it doesn't show up in FTLinx (or RSLinx) at all, so my next move is to upload the configuration into Crimson 3 and see if I can get the information that way. However Crimson 3 and 3.2 both just give the error: The device does not contain an uploadable image. I'm confident I have the right IP address this time because if I point it to a different one (with either nothing on it, or a non-Red Lion device on it), I get a different error about being unable to open the communication port. Interestingly, I also get the same "unable to open communication port" error if I try to upload from Crimson 2 and Crimson 3.1. Not sure why 3.0 and 3.2 can "see" it, but not 3.1.
I recommend you get the Molex/ODVA Tools which support device detection and let you test some functions of the EtherNet/IP device. It is free of charge.

Ethernet/IP. It looks like I don't actually need it after all - I was just trying to get some information about it and thought I might be able to do it in FT Linx. A device was showing up at it's supposed address with a yellow question mark, but it turns out on further investigation, that the documented address is wrong and that was an entirely different device (for which I also don't have an EDS file, but that's moot).

the crimson "versions" aren't different versions.... they are different software.

if you look at the website it tells you what each is for. crimson 3.2 is for Flexedge Controller, etc

Crimson 3.2 - Programming software for FlexEdge® controllers.

Crimson 3.1 - Programming software for CR3000 & CR1000 HMIs, Graphite® HMIs and Controllers, and E3 I/O™ modules.

Crimson 3.0 - Programming software for Graphite® HMIs, G3 and G3 Kadet HMI operator panels, Graphite Controllers, Modular Controller, Data Station Plus and E3 I/O™ Modules.

Crimson 2.1 – Programming software for PXU meters and controllers, PAX2, PAX, EPAX, LPAX, LD, CUB5 and ICM8 meters.

Crimson 2.0 - Programming software for ICM8, EPAX, LPAX, PAX®2, PAX, T16, T48, P16, P48 and CUB5 (Software Version 2.0 or higher). Also used to program the following G3 HMIs: G303 and G306 with monochrome display.

Crimson 1.0 - Programming software for the original Modular Controller series.

I made the mistake a while ago of thinking I just needed a newer version of something.

also, 3.0 should be the most compatible with DSP devices per their notes, and the most up to date with the most drivers. you may just not have your comms for ethernet set right. it's not really intuitive when it comes to setting that up.

Geez, that's not at all opaque. And I thought Rockwell was bad with it's firmware/software versions! /s

So then, if I try with Crimson 3, and Crimson 3 is the correct version for programming the Data Station Plus, and I know I have the right comms setup because the error message changes when I use a different address, why am I getting "The device does not contain an uploadable image"? Is it possible to download the configuration in such a way as to not permit uploading?

Is it possible to download the configuration in such a way as to not permit uploading?
Potentially answering my own question - I just saw an option in the "Link" menu, named "Support Upload", which by default is unchecked.

Why is that option unchecked by default. Find me the software engineer responsible and a large fish ;)

Potentially answering my own question - I just saw an option in the "Link" menu, named "Support Upload", which by default is unchecked.

Why is that option unchecked by default. Find me the software engineer responsible and a large fish ;)

I'm sure this is Trout slap (Via the IRC) level of frustration for sure.

Looks like you did see the issue then, I have only browsed through DSP though, not set one up, so you're beyond me now.

It's actually checked by default, and when you transfer a project to a device, the software will prompt you again asking whether to include an upload-able image. It appears that someone unchecked that option and left you hanging.

What does that datastation do?

Is there a memory card inserted in it?

Also, although I think you have successfully connected to the unit, on your network downloads tab, you have selected Manual, which means you put the IP address in that field below. You could also select "Auto Ethernet 1" and the software would attempt to use the IP address assigned to the Network port.

Last edited:
Odd. My install of Crimson 3 is brand new (recently set it up on a new ARM VM and haven't used a Red Lion product since), and that box was unchecked.

Not sure about the memory card, I will check next time I'm in front of the box.

The datastation just handles a modbus interface on a small packaged skid. Nothing too difficult, and the OEM is still around and generally helpful, so I can probably get a copy of the config.

I've tried Auto Ethernet 1 as well, with the same results.

Odd. My install of Crimson 3 is brand new (recently set it up on a new ARM VM and haven't used a Red Lion product since), and that box was unchecked.

Maybe my install of Crimson shows the box checked because I always answer yes to that critical question when prompted to do a download and the software "remembers" my choice?

Not sure about the memory card, I will check next time I'm in front of the box.

There's a chance you might find a file on the root of the memory card called "image.ci3" that can be opened in Crimson. That model doesn't support data logging, so the only reason to include a memory card would be to include a backup of the project.

The datastation just handles a modbus interface on a small packaged skid. Nothing too difficult, and the OEM is still around and generally helpful, so I can probably get a copy of the config.

I've tried Auto Ethernet 1 as well, with the same results.

The Auto Ethernet 1 selection would refer to the Network IP address even if you edited it, so is the more normal choice generally, but if you know the IP address of the DataStation and still got the error you posted, then the answer is going to be to get the file from the OEM.