Rotary Encoders

Mart B

In the last century some encoders and resolvers were sold with a feature that was called "adjustable gearing". The "gearing" was just a way to change counts in the software.
I bet your mechanical guy is misunderstanding info from an old catalogue.

Thanks for the links/info gents, I suspect you're both correct in thinking that our mechanical guys are referencing this type of encoder.

Since a plc is being used, that is where the scaling should be done. With a suitable interface, DNet, ENet, SSI, a software gearbox can be programmed. The fieldbus encoders I have used are all absolute. Some are hybrids (such as Hyperface) where the current position is read serialy at powerup and then incremental mode keeps track of the position. It all depends on the interface used.