Siemens S7-300 not going into run mode

Keep in mind you not only need the 4MB MMC, but a USB PROMMER or Siemens Field PG to write to the MMC. Those are quite expensive for a one-time use. Better to find someone with a PROMMER to write the MMC for you.

I have a USB PROMMER, but I'm really far from you. But it's not entirely impossible to source a MMC, program it, and ship it to you...

Wow l, just looked it up, they are a few thousand dollars.
I will try the step 7 first, but why would a USB SD card reader not work?, What is so special about the prommer?
Thanks

Siemens specially format the SD cards, so a standard SD card can't be used $$$$

If you format one with a PC, the cards effectively useless.

If you remove the AO card, the error disappears.
If you swap the AO cards position with another card, the error follows the card.
Is that correct ?
You still have not listed the exact type nos of all the modules in the rack.
There are a few cases where some modules are not compatible with certain CPUs or firmware versions.
If the issue is not an incompatibility between CPU and module, then the most likely explanation is that the module is defective.

I believe the reason for this error (in the attached image) is trying to use a V2.6 firmware from the hw catalog when the actual CPU is V2.0. I can't believe Siemens says that the minimum firmware for TIA Portal is V2.6, yet allows you to download and get errors. They should make an error saying that the firmware is not compatible and prevent the download.

2023-05-04 07_43_05-Siemens  -  C__Users_IT Admin_Desktop_TestRig_Fresh_Start_Project_Fresh_Star.jpg

Keep in mind you not only need the 4MB MMC, but a USB PROMMER or Siemens Field PG to write to the MMC. Those are quite expensive for a one-time use. Better to find someone with a PROMMER to write the MMC for you.

Might be going off topic here, but I have to ask for my own information.
You can write to the MMC from TIA, do you need the PROMMER specifically for the older firmware versions and for CPUs programmed in Step7? If you wanted to use the CPU in TIA in future, would it be possible to write the MMC using TIA or would the older firmware version simply not be able to read it?

I don't use S7-300 or Step7 where I am now, but this is one of those nuggets of information that could be very useful for the future.

In general, S7-300 CPUs must be V2.6 or higher in order to upgrade the firmware "online", meaning, you can just update the firmware from STEP 7 or TIA Portal. Prior to V2.6, you have to transfer the firmware image to a 4MB or higher MMC using a PROMMER, then insert it into the CPU in order to update.

I can't believe Siemens says that the minimum firmware for TIA Portal is V2.6, yet allows you to download and get errors. They should make an error saying that the firmware is not compatible and prevent the download.
I agree that it should work that way. But it seems that the OP can load and test new HW configurations. And the one without the AO card goes to run without errors.

In STEP7 classic there was no check for compatibility between modules. It was rare, but it could happen that you put hardware together that was not compatible with each other, no errors during compilation, no errors during download, only at runtime you would get system errors.
The only way to find out was to check lists of compatible hardware. (*)
I suspect that for S7-300 TIA is not better than STEP7 Classic.

*: And that is why I keep asking about the exact type nos. The OP is getting close to 3 strikes !

Last edited:
I agree that it should work that way. But it seems that the OP can load and test new HW configurations. And the one without the AO card goes to run without errors.

In STEP7 classic there was no check for compatibility between modules. It was rare, but it could happen that you put hardware together that was not compatible with each other, no errors during compilation, no errors during download, only at runtime you would get system errors.
The only way to find out was to check lists of compatible hardware. (*)
I suspect that for S7-300 TIA is not better than STEP7 Classic.

*: And that is why I keep asking about the exact type nos. The OP is getting close to 3 strikes !

The "exact type nos" your asking for, I presumed they were the Siemens article numbers as posted in a previous reply? If this is wrong may you please explain what you are referring to???o_O