Siemens S7/TIA v16: 'Download to Device' dialogue box confusing....

Mas01

I've just created a small program and saved it. Then I clicked on the 'Download to device' icon and this dialogue box appeared.
Do I need to click on "start search" button? I thought I'd already configured the PLC to communicate to the laptop via ethernet earlier on, so this seems like a step backwards, to me.
What do I do at this point? Thanks

IMG_20230614_113524.jpg

Last edited:
You must set interface and the connection type, then start a search.
The dialog will show the found devices that match the connection type.
Pick one of the found devices and the Load button can be activated. You can also use the Flash LED to positively confirm you are downloading to the intended device.

Important, don't use the 'Show all compatible devices'.
If you are starting loading to a new CPU, select 'accessible devices'.
If the CPU is already loaded with the HW configuration, select 'devices with same address'.

If you click on the little arrow pointing to the right you will expand to get more information.

My guess is that you havent setup a CPU password.
And the differences may be the firmware version, which you can decide to ignore.

Oops...I just downloaded the code to the PLC and all the lights on the two AI modules are flashing (there's nothing connected to them at the moment), and the ERROR and the MAINT light are on.

IMG_20230614_123348.jpg

So now is the opportunity to investigate the hardware diagnostics.
Just play around with it. You will learn quickly.

edit: I dont have experience with the S7-1200. The errors my be due to lack of supply voltage to the expansion modules.

Well, I was digging around and found this info, which applies to both AI modules. On "Diagnostic status" it says "supply voltage missing" (see pic)

Then I looked at the AI modules and the only wire connected to them was an earth wire (yellow wire, see pic), so where does it get its supply voltage from? Is it from the protruding tab thing, or should it be from some more wires? P.s. I didn't assemble the PLC/cabinet.

IMG_20230614_125911.jpg IMG_20230614_125743.jpg

Last edited:
Did you try to click the red wrench icon in the same line as the module ?

edit: OK, now we are at the stage where you look up the information in the manual, and if you get really stuck, you post here.

It needs 24v on the L and M terminals on the IO modules.
On your PLC terminals 4 and 5 should be outputting 24v so you can just supply from there.

Did you try to click the red wrench icon in the same line as the module ?

edit: OK, now we are at the stage where you look up the information in the manual, and if you get really stuck, you post here.
Yes mate, that's fair comment. I need to find out exactly how to wire the AI modules (SM 1231).