Simatic - download software to the touch panel through Ethernet module

Gromit

Hello

Can I download my software from the PG to the touch panels through Ethernet module (CP343-1) then CPU module and MPI. The transfer route is shown with blue arrows.
I'm using Protool.
See the attached scheme.
picqwo00.jpg

Regards

Hi Gromit.

I too would like to know that too, and am confused.

Siemens entry ID 22059075 says this:

How do you load a project onto the operator panel with ProTool?Instructions:
Projects cannot be transferred from the configuration computer (PG/PC) to the Windows-based operator panel via routing. This type of transfer is not supported by ProTool.
In order to enable the project transfer to be performed successfully, the configuration computer must be connected to the same physical network as the Windows-based operator panel.

However, DDV says in this thread that he can do it:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=172709&postcount=16

Hi again Gromit.

What confuses the matter is maybe that it is possible with WinCC Flexible.
Siemens entry ID 22255588 describes this in detail.
A downer is that the initial tranfer has to be done via a direct connection.

edit:
There are several other restrictions:
The WinCC flexible engineering station must be connected to an MPI bus or PROFIBUS.
The operator panel on which the transfer is to take place must be connected to an MPI bus or PROFIBUS.
Intermediate routing partners can be connected via another type of bus.
In other words, it is not possible to connect from WinCC Flexible PC, via ethernet, to S7 PLC, via MPI, to panel.

Last edited:
Sorry Jesper, there seem to be some sort of problem; there are 2 posts for this question. I can definitely do the uploads and backups, I will run a test to see if I can do the actual panel configuration via Protool and then WinCC Flex.

OK DDV.

I would be surprised if it is possible, but not too surprised.

In the past, for some other problems, I have gotten the info from Siemens support that "it is not possible" only to find out by myself or from others that indeed it was possible.

According to DDV, it's possible. You need to have PG/PC object created in your project ( it has only interfaces, not HW configuration), your PC should be assigned to this object. This gives Step7 ability to establish right routes (especially Net ID's), through other devices connected to networks. And of course ProTool projects have to be integrated with Step7.

Last edited:
gregoryg said:
And of course ProTool projects have to be integrated with Step7.

As I understand this is the key, your project must be integrated. Please remember if you open the project with a newer version of Protool and save it, that project can no longer be opened by the previous version.

I am setting up a 314, with TP and Ethernet to test.

There may be a problem with older panels. I've tested it with MP370 connected to Profibus while PG was connected to S7-400 via MPI.

Ok, it can be done…..BUT you have to first load the panel locally (as I think Jesper said), it will only allow me to edit the TP via the Ethernet/MPI route. This was the case for Protool and WinCC Flex. I used a TP170A(blue screen).

I hope this helps.

With the new MP277B which we're using in a current project you can transfer from the WinCC Flex ES directly to the panel via Ethernet. The configuration is almost as in the first post except that there is also an Ethernet connection to the panel. Communication between the CPU and the panel is still via DP, though.

The MP277B has no MPI connections but does have two USB sockets. Unfortunately, with the present release these don't work! After having bought a standard commercial USB cable (fortunately only one and not one for each panel!) we heard yesterday from the Siemens hotline that the USB interface definitely does not work - the reason they gave was that no suitable cable has yet been approved!!!

Yes RMA it is very frustrating, it’s like giving a child a toy, but telling him he is not allowed to play with it. I wonder what the use of the USB port is then.

Unfortunately the TP I’m using does not have Ethernet capability. Can you do the initial download and configuration on these (Ethernet enabled) units via Ethernet?

RMA said:
we heard yesterday from the Siemens hotline that the USB interface definitely does not work - the reason they gave was that no suitable cable has yet been approved!!!

Does that mean it does not work, or it does but Siemens have not approved a cable yet.

Gromit asked:
Could you please explain what settings do I need to do for such a transfer?

As far as I know Gromit, besides your Ethernet connections that need to be set up correctly, the only other issue is that you need to Start Protool as Integrated with Step7.

And you need the latest backup of your project also. Then you can edit the project and download the changes. You can not start the initial setup via Ethernet... well I couldn’t at least.

I wonder what the use of the USB port is then.

Amongst other things, I believe one of the purposes was to allow the use of a mouse with the panel.

Can you do the initial download and configuration on these (Ethernet enabled) units via Ethernet?

Yes, with the MP277B you can also configure it initially using either the MAC no. or by setting the IP address via the touch screen (which was the way we did it).

By the way, don't get too excited - Siemens can't supply the panel at present, our last two are now more than a month overdue and after two missed delivery schedules Siemens aren't even prepared to tell us now whether we'll have them in time for commissioning in two weeks time!

Does that mean it does not work, or it does but Siemens have not approved a cable yet.

I suspect that it simply doesn't work, although the guy on the hotline was apparently pretty hazy about the whole business (I didn't speak to him personally, just got the message afterwards).

Last edited: