Simatic - download software to the touch panel through Ethernet module

Just a small point..

I order to connect to newer MM440s (Firmware 2.1+), we had to upgrade to the latest revision of Drives ES Basic V5.4....

Kevin H

**EDIT**
Apologies for sending thread on a tangent...

Last edited:
No apology necessary from my side !

I'm running ES Basic 5.3.1 , as a part of starter version 3.1.1 - the next job is MM420's , but I think I have a copy of 5.4 somewhere .

Simple logical solution in the end !
Thanks!

10BaseT. said:
As you mention , the netpro bit doesn't have as much effect as you might suppose - I did a big project some time ago , S7 400's each with two profibus networks and then plantwide ethernet for interpanel connectivity and Factory link - about three stations out of 14 didn't get their network configs downloaded via netpro , but they still worked on the network .
I'll bet that they were "unspecified" connections. In a recent thread it also turned out that on TCP or ISo_On_TCP you can make connections from the PLC side that doesnt have the remote partner specified. Any remote partner can then connect to the PLC as long as the connection resource in the PLC isnt allready in use.

Sorry for the tangent.

No - nothing unspecified - if you take a look at the attached word document you can see about 10% of the connections for this project - some stations slipped through the net - the hardware config was downloaded with the profibus config , but the rest was not .

We run a policy of never sending a panel to site with software installed , it was only when we had to reconfigure a connection that we realised 3 panels had slipped through the net .

In a recent project I thought we would end up stuck - a 416 processor was the coordinator , and all connections were set up ,ISO over TCP/IP , one network , but we had to add a 317 which wouldn't support an ISO connection - again , this was configured at the 416 end , but left undone at the 317 , but the connection was still good - OK , for good order , we added a standard TCP connection between the 416 and the 317 , but even without , there was a connection established .

Not really a tangent - thread has turned into an interesting discussion on Siemens networking and routing - I've certainly learnt something !

Last edited:
I take from reading your post that when you say that some stations werent downloaded via Netpro, that you mean that some specified connections were setup in one side only, and they still worked.

My experience with Specified S7 OPC connections, is that if you forget to download to the PLC, then they dont work.

You also say that a PLC that supposedly doesnt support a certain protocol, still responded when a remote partner connected with said protocol.
How did you manage to setup the connection in the 416 ? If it is specified S7 connection, in NetPro you will not be allowed to set it up for a PLC that doesnt have the protocol in question.

Both your two observations a quite surprising really. But I believe you when you say so, like I believe DDV an lauu when they say they succed in routing from WinCC Flex via Ethernet and Protool to a panel.

Correct , 3 stations from memory weren't downloaded - I should have been more clear .

100% with OPC, no download , no comms
The active connection was set up on the 317 as TCP , an unspecified connection was set up on the 416 - this worked .
What I was also a little surprised about was the CP allowing both TCP and TCP with ISO at the same time - but I don't delve so deep into protocols so perhaps this is not surprising -

I am not too sure that the processor actually cares what it is talking to , so long as the partner ID's are OK and the protocol is the same , it is accepted .
Obviously not neat and tidy , but at a push , it works.