Simatic - download software to the touch panel through Ethernet module

Yes, with the MP277B you can also configure it initially using either the MAC no. or by setting the IP address via the touch screen (which was the way we did it).

Very cool, but my boss has this very unpleasant tendency to get upset when I use panels that cost more than the project…..strange man really.

My projects are small to medium size and seldom need more than a TP, but bigger I use a generic (siemens is too expensive) industrial panel mount pc with resistive touch screen and run Protool runtime on it.

Hej all

I think you have to do a Configuration of the PG/PC interface.

I can download from a PG with wincc flex(ethernet) to a TP177B on profibus.

I don't know if it is the same whit protool and MPI, but you can try.

The wincc flex project is integreted into step7.

I just set the PG/PC interface and assigment in netpro, and when I download from wincc flex I choose the TP177B profibus node number that all.

pp.JPG

Jesper

DDV said:
... but bigger I use a generic (siemens is too expensive) industrial panel mount pc with resistive touch screen and run Protool runtime on it.
For your information: Siemens has a "bundle" with a panel PC + Protool RT at a discounted price. As the panel PC also has an MPI/Profibus port onboard, then maybe it is economically not so bad after all.

Hello

We have some problems with the settings.
How to show the Protool to establish a network communication to a desired communication partner from a desired network.
The only we can do is downloading to the PLC.
This is a picture with the TCP/IP and MPI addresses.
Etherneto0.JPG

Regards

Hi Gromit.

You are right that there is no "routing" option when downloading from Protool.

I would also like to know exactly which steps DDV and lauu use when they download via ethernet>PLC>Profibus>Panel.

What happen if you try to download the panel from NetPro ?
Highligt the panel and select download.

I can imagine why you cannot do the initial transfer via routing. The panel and all the comms partners in the path has to "know" the connection IDs in order to pass through a download.

So now I have actually gone and tried exactly the same as lauu says he can do:
I can download from a PG with wincc flex(ethernet) to a TP177B on profibus.

I have 315-2PN/DP + Laptop with Ethernet + OP177B connected via Profibus.
Everything is integrated.
Everything is configured in NetPro and the PLC is updated.
I configured a PG/PC station, and assigned it to the ethernet card on my PC. The PG/PC has a yellow arrow in NetPro ndicating that my Laptop is recognised as the PC that shall be used for routing.
I have initially set the IP address on the panel. And then I have downloaded the project via Ethernet. The panel connects to the PLC OK.
I then go to the transfer settings on the panel and enable download via MPI/DP.
Finally I try to download to the panel via Profibus as lauu says he can do.
I just set the PG/PC interface and assigment in netpro, and when I download from wincc flex I choose the TP177B profibus node number that all.

It didn't work :(
What am I doing wrong ?

I had this one some time back - I was told that it was possible to download via ethernet from protool CS , and that it was possible to initiate a connection over ethernet to a MP with ethernet port , in both cases it is not . I was initally given some waffle about setting up the network using simatic net (which of course doesn't help at all ) the finally told that the only way was to use Flex

WinCC Flex cures both of these problem to an MP - so long as you set the IP address , then download to panel and connection to a PLC with ethernet is possible .

What can happen after an ethernet download is that the checkbox that says "allow panel to be remote controlled" gets cleared , then unless you initiate the transfer at the panel before downloading over profibus , the panel won't shut down RT and allow a download

I'm pretty sure that it is not possible to bridge as has been suggested here .

Just out of interest is the station "KDF 2" on the initial post of this thread a filter maker ? not important , just being nosey !

What can happen after an ethernet download is that the checkbox that says "allow panel to be remote controlled" gets cleared , then unless you initiate the transfer at the panel before downloading over profibus , the panel won't shut down RT and allow a download
No, thats not it. I manually select transfer mode. And I switched download channel 2 from Ethernet to MPI/DP.

Either DDV and lauu are plain wrong despite being very convincing, or it really really is possible.

Will fiddle more with it tomorrow.

JesperMP said:
Hi Gromit.

I too would like to know that too, and am confused.

Siemens entry ID 22059075 says this:

How do you load a project onto the operator panel with ProTool?Instructions:
Projects cannot be transferred from the configuration computer (PG/PC) to the Windows-based operator panel via routing. This type of transfer is not supported by ProTool.
In order to enable the project transfer to be performed successfully, the configuration computer must be connected to the same physical network as the Windows-based operator panel.

However, DDV says in this thread that he can do it:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=172709&postcount=16

As above , I am pretty sure that you can't - there is no facility for routing or passthrough - I don't think you can do with flex , if you can , I don't know - I have tried setting up mulitple connections (Profi and ethernet ) on both an MP and a PC RT application (as you would if you used a PC870 ) , and while you can have an ethernet download and an profibus connection to the PLC and profi download , ethernet connection , you can't have a profi connection to the PLC and route through to ethernet , or the converse .

Maybe I just completely misunderstood what our man was saying , but he did seem to suggest he was using passthrough .

Power down the panel after changing the channel - I seem to recal this can be an issue .

I'll ask the man at Siemens who will definitely know about pass through and bridging , but this may have to wait until tomorrow.

I also don't think it matters at all if you have a PC/PG integrated in netpro - you can get the panel to talk to a PLC without bothering with netpro - if you don't however , you will lose the integration of your symbols , and when you set up the connection in flex , you will get a broken line and "not connected" - so long as you set the right rack and slot and IP address , it will still work - though of course it isn't very sexy .

Last edited:
I did check the documentation before as your quote indicates.
However, I find it odd if both DDV and lauu are both posting bogus. They said that they have accomplished it, with details.

I did cycle power after changing the channel mode.

You are right that to communicate between panel and PLC you dont have to be able to see the connection in NetPro, i.e. to have the panel + connection integrated in the STEP7 project.
However, we are talking about routing from PC to panel via the PLC. This is something different.

The posts that I have read aren't that clear about what has been accomplished and how - but perhaps it will be revealed later .

As you mention , the netpro bit doesn't have as much effect as you might suppose - I did a big project some time ago , S7 400's each with two profibus networks and then plantwide ethernet for interpanel connectivity and Factory link - about three stations out of 14 didn't get their network configs downloaded via netpro , but they still worked on the network .

As I said - I am pretty much 100% sure that you can't do what has been suggested - you can't access profibus drives from say Starter using ethernet->profibus routing , and I am sure that the facility doesn't exist full stop - hopefully someone will show me how to do it ! it would be great to commission drives over the internet !

10BaseT. said:
- you can't access profibus drives from say Starter using ethernet->profibus routing , and I am sure that the facility doesn't exist full stop - hopefully someone will show me how to do it ! it would be great to commission drives over the internet !

We commission MM4s over Ethernet -> Profibus...see the attached file. (Sorry the picture resolution is low, I had to reduce it to allow upload here)

Kevin H

Wow ! that is excellent - this question has been asked a few times of Tech support with no firm reply . I assume that Starter doesn't care what the interface is , so long as it can "see" drives hanging off the profibus network .

In this case , there is a good chance that routing to a panel will also work .

Well I have enough hardware at home to give it a blast now - thanks !
Apologies for being a doubting thomas to the others !