SimaticNet PC Station Setup

I have been experimenting with Siemens OPC Server. I successfully installed SimaticNet on a Laptop and set it up as a PC Station using the Siemens website help… http://support.automation.siemens.c...objaction=csview&extranet=standard&viewreg=WW
With the OPC Scout I was able to see symbols from the PLC and also to write to them.

Problems began when I installed SimaticNet on the PC that is being using as the PG/PC Interface (with Step7 installed). I am not sure if it can be done, but I wanted to use the same PC for programming and also for the OPC Server and scout.
If it can be done, does anybody know what differences are involved in the setup?
Thanks

yes
It can be done
When Step7 is already installed, the NCM Manager will not be installed because Simatic Manager takes its place

So do you see the configuration console?

So what exactly is the problem?

If you setup a pc station and follow the steps
What is working and what is not?
When you download, you set the pg pc to pc internal

Last edited:
Problems began when I installed SimaticNet on the PC that is being using as the PG/PC Interface (with Step7 installed).
What problems ?
Like JRW already said, NCM Manager will not be installed, as Simatic Manager is installed already. NCM Manager is a cut-down version of Simatic Manager. You can use the same setup procedures with Simatic Manager as you can with NCM Manager. The installation of Simatic Net will install a number of drivers and components in the HW Configurator. And there will be some tools installed in a Simatic Net folder in the Windows Start Menu.

Like I said I have not used the NCM manager, I don’t even think it was ever installed.
The configuration console is identical to the set-up in the link.
The Station Configuraton Editor is the same except the connection symbol is missing from the Conn column.
The problem is in Scout, I can see the PLC symbols but I can’t add them for monitoring. I have two Scouts (V2.5 & V10), in V10 the result says E_UNKNOWN_ITEM_NAME, in Scout V2.5 the following error message appears.

OPC-Scout-error.gif

Its working now. I re-setup everything and now it is working. I must have missed something. Setting the PG-PC interface to PC internal (as JRW suggested) may have been the difference.
Thank again for all your support, much appreciated.