Step 9? Is there a new Siemens Software coming out?

I suppose it wouldn't be too bad as long as they make it so you can achieve everything within Ladder (or whatever replaces it)... including indirect addressing etc..?

Personally I don't think they'll phase out STL yet. They may have just increased the program elements available to you in Ladder so you don't need it..

uptown47 said:
I suppose it wouldn't be too bad as long as they make it so you can achieve everything within Ladder (or whatever replaces it)... including indirect addressing etc..?

Personally I don't think they'll phase out STL yet. They may have just increased the program elements available to you in Ladder so you don't need it..
I don't see how increasing elements in ladder can replace STL.
though, I do have to use ladder as per our specs even if STL is available.
Ladder can get too complex to follow, hopefully if they do come up with an advanced ladder instruction set, it will make it a bit more easier to follow when it matters.

In any case. this would be a great time to remind our Siemens contacts about that little S7 wishlist Jesper worked so hard on last year... almost exactly a year ago, if I remember correctly.

Regards,
Daniel Chartier

Someone mentioned my name !
Ahh... the wishlist. The problem is that I cannot find the time to get the final version nailed down completely. And this becomes worse as it gets put off for a longer time, as some of the points in the list becomes moot or at least needs rephrasing.
I seem to become burdened with more and more "real" work, not less, so there is a problem for me to get this job done.

Anyway, I'll eat my hat if Siemens launches a completely new PLC generation thies year.

SIEMENS A&D AS Russia
http://www.automation-drives.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31241#31241

Something new in production of Siemens in this year is planned.

Details after the Hanover exhibition.

Full change of family on notorious S9 WILL NOT BE STILL at least some years.

Will develop S7 and its branches.

The software will develop also.

Certainly, absolutely new development go, but about release in circulation of speech still are not present.

in Russian
Êîå-÷òî íîâîå â êîíòðîëëåðíîé òåõíèêè Ñèìåíñ â ýòîì ãîäó íàìå÷àåòñÿ (ïîäðîáíîñòè ïîñëå Ãàííîâåðñêîé âûñòàâêè), íî íå òàê êðóòî êàê Âû îïèñàëè.
Ïîëíîé ñìåíû ñåìåéòñâà íà ïðåñëîâóòîå S9 ÍÅ ÁÓÄÅÒ åùå êàê ìèíèìóì íåñêîëüêî ëåò.
Áóäåò ðàçâèâàòüñÿ S7 è åãî âåòêè.
Áóäåò ðàçâèâàòüñÿ è ñîôò.
Êîíå÷íî, ñîâñåì íîâûå ðàçðàáîòêè èäóò, íî î âûïóñêå â òèðàæ ðå÷è åùå íåò.

PhaseBuilder is a framework package which allows control system development in a visual environment. A project is developed by configuring equipment (motors, valves, switches...) and sequence items (steps, conditions, tasks...) using 'drag and drop' and 'add and remove'. The configuration is stored in a SQL database. The configuration is then downloaded to a Siemens S7 PLC. The PLC has a MMC which contains code for a runtime operating system which will interpret the downloaded data to implement the configured system.

PhaseBuilder allows the user to print out Automation quality documents such as FDS, FAT and IQ. It also has a service for communication for Scada and ActiveX controls.
It is a much faster development enviroment than a normal PLC editor, there are no errors in the coded system. The configured system will always match the documents exactly and the ActiveX controls will always link to the PLC registers without tagging.

It is developed for the process industry but would work for conveying systems machines which dont operate at high speed.

Hope this helps

tadg

Looking at the history of S3 then S5 then S7 and the gossip that STL would vanish I can only presume that the next PLC programming software would be OOP and 'configuring only' kind of thing meaning that a project or process ing. could design a system(HLI,PLC,Devices) without writing one line of code.

Could be interesting but I am still learning new stuff in S7 .

greetings
Eric

Has Siemens announced a new Simatic generation on the Hannover Messe ?

So I asked my Siemens guy this question. Here is what he said

The only thing I’ve heard, and this is from Joe, about 2 months ago, he said Siemens was going to quit working on functionality and work more on ease of use. They are going to concentrate on that exclusively.
Joe is my Siemens tech guy out of Dallas.

So today I went to a Siemens Catch Up where they show all their new stuff. "My guy" Joe was there. Thanked me for instant star dome for posting his name here. He really is a top notch programmer. Any way he gave me some hints about the new software. He said it would still be called Step 7. He said the "Germans" said the new software would be TIA "Totally Integrated Automation". Siemens has been pushing this for a while but they said the new software would be much more TIA. He didn't give me much more than that but did hint that field devices would have more standard blocks to work with. Some other things I did not quite get but it sounds like a network search. I picture something like some of the other networks have to search for nodes on the network and auto setup those nodes.

Thats about all I know about Step 7. They were also talking about WinCC v7.0 that would be a go for Vista. Also dropped some hints of WinCC Flex taking over WinCC but no timeline.

I have also "heard" that there will only be one programming package for both S7-200 and S7-300/400?

Can anyone confirm this?