Step 9? Is there a new Siemens Software coming out?

Clay B. said:
I was told I could get more info at the show they are having in Charlotte in December.
Do you have more info? I am only 30 miles north, and might like to attend.

jemac25 said:
Exciter dome tour stop in Charlotte has been cancelled.

It may possibly be rescheduled for June. Got the email this morning. They couldn't get the dome off the barge.

New Step 7

Just to put the cat with the pigeons have a look at this link

The new software approach to automation may be something like

Wincc flexible look and feel ,programming from top down,HMI,PLC,Motion control connected with tags ,definitly more and more OOP(s) ( Object orientated programming S..)more like PCS7 but for PLC with drag and drop software boxes.

Lets all meet at the Hannover Messe ,could be interesting.

Greetings

Eric

Aaahhh! Drag and drop - where are the shortcut keys. Too old to get RSI dragging and dropping with a darn mouse.
I even use shortcut keys in MS Office 2007. Much quicker too.

Well, a small peek of what the new STEP7 will be like, can be seen in this press release:
https://www.automation.siemens.com/...MI-panels-and-engineering.xml?NoRedirect=true

It is about the S7-1200 PLC which is about to be released.
The S7-1200 is to be programmed with STEP7 BASIC v10.5 (!?).
There is not much hard info about the new STEP7 apart from this:
The new Simatic Step 7 Basic engineering system provides integrated engineering for controllers and Simatic HMI Basic Panels. Simatic Step 7 Basic V10.5 with integrated WinCC Basic for visualization tasks supports the user with task-oriented and intuitive editors for a high degree of user-friendliness and efficiency in engineering

Well Jesper
After reading out that article it seems that S7-1200 is coming out as replacement for the S7-200. And the new Simatic Step 7 Basic as a replacement for the Microwin.

Gotta agree with manmeetvirdi here.

Good to know they are giving the horrible 200 series an upgrade though. If it's more in line with the 300/400 series I might be more interested in em...:D

When comparing previous Siemens press releases with the time it took afterwards until the new hardware or software actually became available, I'll say that it will be another 2-6 months before the new S7-1200 and new STEP7 will be really available.

So do you think this will bring the 200 up to the 300-400 platform? I think getting all 3 into the same software would be a big plus.

So do you think this will bring the 200 up to the 300-400 platform?
Yes. However, I do not know if it will be programable by the new STEP7 v10 only, or if it will be programmable by v5 as well. If it is the first, then it will be some time before there will be a common programming platform.

Hello forum members !

It seems that Siemens has gone and done it. STEP9 is really on the way. They are working on the final version right now, just in time for the Hannover Messe !
Rumors have it, Siemens is seeking betatesters for the new STEP9 programming software.
If you call Siemens Germany, and ask for Herr Frits Forilpa, he will send you a beta version 1.4 of STEP9. That offer is only valid today !
I shall be glad if someone can use this.

Tjüss.