TIA V15. Refreshing popup screen values

DairyBoy

Setup: TIA V 15.1, 15" comfort HMI, S7-1500 processor (not connected). Running HMI application in simulation mode.

I have a number of invisible push buttons overlaid on pump and valve symbols. Each button has its event category set to set a value in a tag and open a popup screen (for manual overrides). One of the items on the popup is a text display that references the unique number generated by each invisible button push.

The popup pops up and displays the selected item's ID via the text list display but the popup has to be closed between selections to allow the text list display to refresh.

I've tried various combinations of event selection (on press, on release, etc, in an attempt to set the variable to its new value before calling the popup (which is already open following the first button press.

Needless to say, with no processor connected it's generating a message on each press, but as it seems to work when closed each time, I don't think that's the problem.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks.