What PLC should i choose?

djklocek

Hello, I'm a newbie. I have a project in which I will use 24-30 relays and I need a PLC for that. It has to have counter (one device will be sending impulses to count) and allow to program via usb (PC ladder prog). I checked on Keyence KV-700, but I saw that I have to buy KV studio and its additional 1500$, so thought it is kinda crazy. Can anybody help me and propose a good solution for my PLC problem? Thank you and best regards ps. japanese makers are most convenient.

If you prefer Japanese then I would have a good look at the Omron CP1 series of PLCs. You will have to buy the software - it is not given away. It will however program all the current PLCs as well as screens, motion cards, networks etc.
I would use transistor outputs with external relays not built in relays. The relays I normally use are the Omron G2RV SL700 series. These have LEDs and flywheel diodes built in.
My other choice of relays would be Omron G2R series with diodes to protect your transistor outputs. Alkan Bradley have the same relays available as well.
It is a lot easier to replace an external relay driven by a transistor output than a relay soldered into a PCB quite frankly.
I do not know what the price of CX-One software would be in your region but, as I mentioned, it will program everything basically. Also offers FB, STL, SFC etc.
The other brand that is generally readily available in Asia is Mitsubishi. Ther is also quite a lot of Alan Brdaley available. Those 3 brands appear to be the most readil;y available in Japan - particularly Mitsubishi and Omron from my experiences there.

Last edited:
CoDeSys is free and Moeller make reliable PLCs for a fraction of the price taking into consideration the features and abilities.

Is this for yourself, your employer or a customer?
I ask, because employers and customers often have PLCs already in use. In that case I would pick a PLC that is already being used by the end user.
If it is just for yourself, then it becomes just like buying a car.

I have noticed Automation Direct (Koyo) have a new PLC, the "Click PLC" for a very low price and free programming software. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be capable of using analog IO.

Also, I agree with Bob, use external relays where possible. BTW, when I had a look in an electrical supplier's shop in Japan, I was amazed at the low price of interfacing relays (600yen each). So this approach is probably more cost effective in Japan than over here.

Gunbutte yo!