Will USB to RS232 Converter work??

I was going to say that there are currently 2 Dell models that still have the RS232 port and realized that this thread was started 2 years ago, and his new laptop probably needs to be replaced again by now.........

Contr_Conn

I have to disagree
Look Here that what I ordered.1747-UIC I hope it will work with other
PLCs

uic.jpg

Last edited:
ArikBY:
I was told many times by AB people including techsupport that
1747-UIC is for DH485 protocol only on both RS232 and RS485 sides.

Look at the picture you posted:
Two DH-485 ports !!!!
It replaces 1747-PIC.

It actually does protocol convertion similar to KE and KF modules.

It does not work with any other PLC brands and does not support direct serial connection and autoconfiguration.

For CH0 serial comms AB recommended new 9300-USBS:
See knowledge base note G74148952

Last edited:
I have also had the same problem with usb adapters..... I picked up a compaq port replicator for my compaq evo laptop and configured everything fine on com1. I tested my (antiquated) 1747 pic box adapter successfully as well. I generally use the adaptor for my pcmk card for the dh-485, but I needed the serial port on com1 or com2 for some of our dos based servodrive programs. Only problem is, the port replicator cost about $250.

ESCI,
Im running a trusty old Toshiba Satellite Pro 4800, it has a serial port and a USB port...i do find the the serial port can be a bit tempremental however i do use a USB to RS232 convertor and find it to me more reliable. I have used the USB to RS232 convertor with CX-Programmer (in fact the entire Autoamtion Suite), Syswin, NS-Designer, NT V4.6 Screen Programming software, The old DOS based NT support tool, Cimrex Screens and visual basic communicaitons. The one i use comes from a company called WIRETEK and cost is probably around $US 18.
I know that Bobb has a HP notebook and would get the occasional comms drop out while online however i believe that he is using one supplied by Omron now and doesnt have this problem. Yhe Omron one might be around the $US 250, Jay Anthony might be able to shed some light.

I personnaly like the idea of a USB because i feel that it may provide a bit of isolation to my noebook. I have seen a number of comms ports failed over time and they are a pain to get fixed because they tend to be board mount.

BTW the new NS screens come with a USB port however you can;t use them for programming yet ( a future firmware upgrade later perhaps. and i also here that Omron are going to produce PLC's with USB ports, i could be wrong though it owuld be nice. On a side note I also run XP professional.

Might i also suggest that you take a look at the thread that discussed which laptop to use....

serial port problems

Here is some info that may help if you have serial port connection problems.
I would get error messages unable to connect, or would loose connection. Would try to uninstall , reinstall software, same problems, even had our IT group replace laptop, same problems.
Am running windows 2000, even when i could not connect, could go into control panel, and windows would say serial port working, not conflicts etc., but just for the heck of it, selected to update serial driver, reinstalled driver, worked fine.
Now, i do this each time, pain in but, but serial problems go away if i just remember to let win2000 reinstall the drivers.
Maybe this will help

I just got my UIC I bought it for customer who need it for service. It work fine as PIC driver, but it is not working as RS 232 port. I did not test it for DF1 driver yet but I guass I will need another adaptor for RS232 for all the rest.
I will keep useing my old PIC adaptor.It bigger and havy but more easy to usu and to configure.

ArikBY:

Unfortunately long awaited 1747-UIC came out not as good as expected. No one can explain why, but it is what it is.
It took AB 2 years to release it, so they will not be doing anyting else for outdated SLC500 PLCs.

For CH0 and other PLCs get new 9300-USBS.
Looks like it works for all, but SLC500 ;) so combination of both will cover complete range.

9300-USBS is regular USB-Serial converter with A-B logo.

Refer to this post for more information.

USB/232 Information

16.gif

usb to rs232

i got a usb to rs232 convertor and it works grea for omron and micro logix running windows 2000 the convertor i brought was for a computer store the price was 26.99 for it. i forgot brand it was if i find it i'll write it down in here

Last edited:
S7-200 USB/PPI Cable

I can warn you of something I ran into. Older versions of Siemens S7-212 & S7-214 PLC's with REL's below 1.10 cannot be downloaded to via
Siemens new USB/PPI cable (6ES7 901-3DB30-0XA0).