WIN CC Flex help

allscott

I just upgraded an old protool app from an OP37 to an MP277 with WinCC Flex.

I am not a siemens guy.

The conversion seemed to go fine with a couple of hiccups but now when I have installed the screen for some reason it is not updating tags in the PLC. I know that it is communicating OK because I am getting values back from the PLC.

I noticed that the numbers I am trying to i/o field are type "Input/Output", which seems strange as I thought they would be just Inputs.

I hope there is a "you forgot to do this you dumb a$$", solution but I haven't found it yet.

BTW I can't get protool to work on my new computer so I can't at the moment even open the old app. o_O

edit: Forgot to mention, PLC is a S70-400, communication is MPI.

I noticed that the numbers I am trying to i/o field are type "Input/Output", which seems strange as I thought they would be just Inputs.

Input/Output means you can read and write the variable. If it was just output then you can view it on the screen but not change it.

when I have installed the screen for some reason it is not updating tags in the PLC

Are the tags in a recipe? If so you have to have to send them to the plc. This is the only thing that I know of that could keep things from updating when you know you are talking. If this is tru you can call the "Sendtagstoplc" (i think thats what its called) from an event. Most of the time I put it in the on change event of the tag itself.

That's what I figured on the input/output thing. What I don't understand is if I put 20 in a field it displays 20 when I exit the field which means that is what is in the DB but it isn't?

The tags aren't in a recipe. Just Reals pointing to a DB, eg DB20 DBD20.

I just found something that looks like it may have something to do with the problem.

- Decimal places for whole numbers can not be configured directly.
Instead, they are represented by a conversion function (by means
of an internal supplementary tag of the type REAL; refer to
FAQ no. 949246).

Great except I can't find the FAQ.
I am sure that I am just doing something simple wrong.

I have only done some testing with real numbers but I don't recall anything special with them. Is it only the reals that give you a problem? Maybe just config another tag like DB20.DBW0 and see if you can read half the real. It would tell you if you were having a real problem, real number problem that is.

You could also check the connection under the tag properties. I have not done a conversion from ProTool but I would think if it got some correct it would have gotten them all correct. You could post a screen shot of the tag screen. Someone might see something that looks odd.

I have performed several Protool to WinCC Flex upgrades. Siemen's normally recommends upgrading the Protool project to the latest rev of Protool before converting over to WinCC Flex. What I have seen a couple of times as CharlesM has suggested checking that it may have created multiple PLC connections. When selecting tags from the DB it can be misleading because you chose the correct tag but it is associated with a different PLC connection. I would first go to device settings to see if there is more than one PLC connection. If there is go to your tags and see what connection has the most tags associated with them. Delete the PLC connection with the smaller amount of tags. The tags associated with the connection you have deleted will be associated with the remaining PLC connection.

Finally, you normally have three field choices for displaying values

1.) Input - Normally for operator to enter data
2.) Input/Output - For entering data and displaying data for the respective tag
3.) Output - To Display Data only

Again I am no Siemens guy so I may be overlooking something really obvious. There is only one PLC in the system but I will check again tommorrow and make sure it hasn't set up more than one connection.

What really has me baffled is that with an Input/Output tag what I see on the screen should be what is in the PLC after I change it, right? When I change a number on the MP it stays changed when I move to a different field but when I look at it in a VAT table it is still the old value.

I think there might be a problem with the data types. I don't have the projects in front of me right now but will investigate that tommorrow.

Why is it always an adventure when I have to do something with Siemens written on it, a lot of you guys speak very highly of the equipment. Maybe I just have to spend more time with it.

If your Protool Panel is Interated into Step 7 it will not allow devices with the same address on a network. I suggest the following.
1. Make a working copy of your project using Save as.
2. Convert Project. (If you've done this already) Do a save as of the convertion. And close WinCC Flex.
3. Open Netpro (Network Manager).
4. You'll now see new HMI hanging in space (not on network).
5. Kill (delete) old Protool panel
6. Open properties of new panel and drop on network the old panel was on.
7. Save and compile. Close Netpro.
8. Open Flex and download project.

Your good to go. You can do this in less steps but seeing as your not a "Siemens Guy" I didn't want to trip you up.

Nick

Hi,

Check all your inputs fields, they should be input/output.
Check your tags, check the adresses and data types.

Before you download plz do a 'Rebuild All'. If you do not use this function it'll cause you headaches and foul moods etc. (that was the experience talking)

Jeebs

that it may have created multiple PLC connections.

If I do a copy and paste from one project to another it will create another conneciton. To keep it from doing this you must do a flat copy then paste. I can see how it could do something like this when moving from Protool.

Thanks for the suggestions.

First of all the old project wasn't integrated into Step 7. I checked the PLC connections and there is only one and all of the tags are using it. I also checked the data type and it is real in both the PLC and WinCC.

I am going to try the 'rebuild all' function this morning and see if that does anything.

Tried the rebuild all, that didn't work either. I am now looking for a Siemens Guru to come to site. Unfortunately there aren't many of them in this part of the world.

Here's some screen shots of my setup. I don't really know what the area pointer part is all about I just found it but it does relate to the DB's I am having trouble with.

The somewhat local Siemens guys are in training all week and I guess I am not a big enough customer to warrant them being disturbed during there course, fair enough.

stag1.JPG

stag2.JPG

sconnect1.JPG

sconn2.JPG

sdb.JPG

Yup that's your problem...your HMI is not connected correctly(check out the addresses). Why don't send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a FTP site where you can send me your project.

Nick

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with the connections but all my applications have be on PC's. I don't use area pointers so Im not sure there either. I did notice a recipe tag on the second screen. So you may want to keep in mind what I was saying about sending data tags to plc. The recipe could be done in the plc. You can look under recipes in WinCC Flexible. If you don't have any you don't have to worry about it.

Nick B

If you do get it fixed post what you do. At least a screen shot of the connection settings.