Wire Ferrules? Recommendations?

Thats a very nice tool, what is the price you pay for the ferrules from Rittal?

Very nice, if you get used to the tool you can make the "isolation" that is removed also get removed automaticly without having to take it away with your fingers. Alternative is that you remove it with the knives in the front

From rittal i pay 500SEK for 5000pcs. But the swedish money is low value so it's pretty mush in USD, 52$ with my exchange rate.

Yep, I think the crimper/tool is more important than the ferrule itself, I have a few and KNIPEX is very nice, I would also recommend getting a front load and a side load, when working in a cabinet or a tight place its nice having both.

https://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1299&groupID=1308

https://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1299&groupID=1307

I guess we have crashed their website.... can't even get www.knipex.com to pull up.

I use this crimper from Ferrules Direct and we use their ferrules too. I haven't had any issues crimping even the smallest ferrules (24/26 ga). I did have to tweak the adjustment wheel on the side of the tool, however, for the smaller ones.
I 2nd this recommendation. There are a lot of crimpers out there that are awkward to squeeze. After you squeeze them a few hundred times a day for a few months, it makes a difference.

Also, while UL does not require or prohibit the use of ferrules, you must use the ferrule crimper recommended by the manufacturer. So you can't use a Ferrules Direct crimper on Weidmuller ferrules.

The 6 point compression is specifically what I was pointing out. Have you ever had a beautiful panel with everything labeled and perfect cable management but it had constant issues. One day you start tug testing the terminations and find that the wires pull out of the ferrules easily. This is the catalyst for me pointing out these crimpers. Knipex makes a four point for cheaper that is still way better that standard ones.

When you start putting your name and reputation on a build-you buy the 6 point. If not through employer then from your own pocket. I am the site Heretic, Im very opinionated , talk to my self, and wrong often so......

When you start putting your name and reputation on a build-you buy the 6 point.
If you are using cage/spring clamp terminals, surely the square compression (4-point) would be preferred over the hexagonal compression style (6-point)?
But for that sense of "this just feels like quality" I very much prefer the hexagonal style.

Last edited: