Wire Ferrules? Recommendations?

I will garantee that you will work faster and more efficient with a Stripax plus 2.5, if I come to a workshop and they mount the ferrules one by one I would call them old fashioned.

A stripax plus 2.5 cuts, de-mantle and crimp all in one, only need one tool and it's alot faster.

For example: I currently make 124 cabinets that are all the same, takes 20mins to wire. If I'll be kind I'll say that I crimp a ferrule 5 seconds faster then a one-by-one. The cabinet has 50 ferrules, so approx 4minutes time save on each cabinet, I'll be kind and draw that down to 2 min. Thats 248 mins on the whole batch, 4hours time save on a tool that is 200$ (converting SEK to USD).

I made a video to show how fast it is to cut, de-mantle and crimp. https://youtu.be/H-3qhWvzgz0

It sounds like I'm a sales person but I can't wrap my head around that everyone isn't using the stripax. I'll be happy to hear if anyone has a better solution though :)

Discussions like this are always interesting. Different people, different views. I used the Stripax strippers for some time and the expensive Weidmuller crimpers with the rotating end. The strippers were wonr out and falling apart in less than 6 months. The crimpers were worn out and fell apart after 9 months. Have used many others aver the years as well. I now use square dieless type crimpers and they cost me $80 AU. 12 months now and the only thing I have had to do to them is give them an occasional spray with some dry lube spray. The square shape is better to get into smaller terminals on PLC power supplies and the like and you cannot pull the ferrules off if you use the correct size. I always but ferrules on a roll - no good knocking the container over full off loose ones and then picking them up off the floor. Here is what I am using very happily these days. I design and build all my own control panels, do the software and commissioning as well. https://www.cabac.com.au/product-specs/16101505/HNKE10

ndzied1 said:
Here is Phoneix Contact's version of the Stripax
https://youtu.be/RTK3MZ-gE4Q

Hey! That's my CRIMPFOX!?!

If we recall, most of here had previously discussed which crimper or all-in-one we like to use in this previous thread in 2017...

Wire strippers of choice

While at that time I did not have the Phoenix Contact CRIMPFOX 4 in 1 that long, I can now say that after 2 + years of fairly frequent use, it has pretty much stood the test of time. This last 2 weeks, for example, I've been extremely busy integrating a second new auto labeller machine into our strap/wrap line and have hardly put it down each day. Using it comfortably has become second nature to me, but I do appreciate that it's not for everyone. A younger Electrician working with me isn't as keen on it. He uses an old Knipex steel head crimper (no number to hand) he was given in a previous job and which looks like it's withstood a lot of use.

The only negative I'd give the CRIMPFOX is that sometimes the crimper misses the ferrule and slips up the side of it, squeezing it flat sideways but not having crimped it. You then have to remove the wire/ferrule, turn it 90 deg and carefully reinsert it to get a good crimp. Bit annoying, but not too often it happens, to be honest. For wiring multicore cables in J/Boxes, Marshalling Boxes, it's really quick. Cut all cores to required length, then go to work on stripping/twisting/crimping them all in a row with one tool in hand. Then put that down and pick up terminal driver.

By the way, I mainly use Weidmuller ferrules.

Regards,
George

I have used an earlier version of the Crimpfox. The version had the port for the ferrules a bit further away from the head nearer the handle. It definitely saves a lot of time if you have a lot of wiring to do.
One advantage/disadvantage is that the crimping is only from one side, creating kind of a through.
Advantage is that this kind of crimping creates smooth sides on the ferrule that wont get stuck in push-in terminals (such as in ET200SP).
Disadvantage is that it is not as firmly pressed as crimpers that press the ferrule from 4 or 6 sides. Some customers demand ferrules to be pressed on all 4 or 6 sides.

TheWaterboy said:
...What does that thing cost?

ndzied1 said:
Doesn't look like they are available in the US yet...

The Phoenix Contact CRIMPHANDY battery operated 2 second stripper/crimper is designed for professional panel shops and not for the average Joe, unless you like the finer things in life. I can snap one up for around €2,500 last I looked.

Regards,
George