Love my laptop, but time for upgrade. any suggestions?

Lenovo P50
i7 quad core, 16GB ram, 256GB + 512GB SSD's, 4GB NVIDIA Quadro graphics.

We are running multiple in our team now and can't fault them. Build quality and battery life is excellent (6-cell), back-lit keyboard (optional) helps when commissioning at night or in dark areas.

Last edited:
Best of both worlds (Van Halen on SXM)

I like HP. Envy 17", 256 primary SSHD, 1TB data drive, NVIDIA, i7, W7P and other things. Just had my nw8440 spruced up, and that thing will truck thru mud!

Just my opinion. Boss is a Dell guy.

I have a Mac BooK Pro. I like the resolution, light weight, aluminum case, track pad and battery life. Use Fusion. You can switch between Mac OS X and Win 10 with a swipe on the track pad.

The Apple track pad is the only track pad I have used that doesn't make me want to grab for a mouse.

If you don't like Fusion then use boot camp but then it is hard to transfer data between operating systems.

I have a Mac BooK Pro.

Thoughts after yesterday's update? I can't recommend a Macbook Pro now, Need to spend $3000+ for one with enough storage. Probably a few hundred in USB-C adaptors as well. I was saving my pennies for the new Macbook Pro, but now I'm less than impressed.

Thoughts after yesterday's update? I can't recommend a Macbook Pro now, Need to spend $3000+ for one with enough storage. Probably a few hundred in USB-C adaptors as well. I was saving my pennies for the new Macbook Pro, but now I'm less than impressed.

Peter's points are still valid, but I hate that the Magsafe power adapter is gone.

+1 for 17" screen. Do most coding using three screens in the office so really find it difficult on a small screen on site. currently have a HP Zbook 17" with an extended battery - lasts 14 hours. It is somewhat of a lump though.

I used to buy only Dell Precision but I have had some quality issues the past few years and the battery life is not impressive for the way we use the laptops.

I am currently using the Lenovo P70 series which is a high performance machine much like the way you can layout the Dell precision series but quite cheaper and much better battery life.

For a good performance machine I also like MSI laptops.

I am currently using the Lenovo P70 series which is a high performance machine much like the way you can layout the Dell precision series but quite cheaper and much better battery life.

I shopped the Lenovo too but couldn't realize much of a price difference to sway me either way. I believe that the Thinkpads and Precisions are big competitors and are similarly priced. So I went with the brand I've had the most success with.

The good news, I got the green light to buy 2 "new" laptops.
The bad news, my budget is less than $1000 per machine.
My specs:
Intel Core i7 processor
16 GB RAM (or more)
500 GB SSD Drive

After reading the recommendations on this forum (not only this thread), and researching online, I think my best fit is a Dell Precision M4700.
It seems to be a good laptop for the hard environment we sometimes face in the field, and it's fast and reliable.
The reviews say that those machines are very heavy, and that the battery life is not impressive, though.

Any additional thoughts?

The good news, I got the green light to buy 2 "new" laptops.
The bad news, my budget is less than $1000 per machine.
My specs:
Intel Core i7 processor
16 GB RAM (or more)
500 GB SSD Drive

After reading the recommendations on this forum (not only this thread), and researching online, I think my best fit is a Dell Precision M4700.
It seems to be a good laptop for the hard environment we sometimes face in the field, and it's fast and reliable.
The reviews say that those machines are very heavy, and that the battery life is not impressive, though.

Any additional thoughts?

I'm also considering buying a M4800 on ebay, but it's riskier than Amazon...

Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK

You can get one of these well below your budget and still get a 512GB M.2 SSD and use the 1TB for storage.

Mine feels solid, is light and has great battery life.

Just remember all i7s are not the same. The newer ones are 10 times more powerful then the 1st gen ones. Just because it says i7 doesn't mean much. You need to look at the specific processor model.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-512G...ywords=512+gb+m.2+ssd&refinements=p_36:-13000

$119 dollars. 8GB ram stick can be found for $40That leaves enough to upgrade the RAM and still be within budget. Yea, it is a bit more work but it really doesn't take all that much effort to put the ram and drive in. I did it in less than 10 minutes. Of course, you would still want to install an OS on the 512 m.2 drive, but the activation is stored in the BIOS of the laptop, so it is no additional cost, just an hour of time.

Just remember all i7s are not the same. The newer ones are 10 times more powerful then the 1st gen ones. Just because it says i7 doesn't mean much. You need to look at the specific processor model.
That's true.