Generic Ethernet Module Config (Control Logix)

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
In setting up the Connection Parameters in the Ethernet Module configuration for a device in Logix 5000, you have the ability to select the Assembly Instance. What determines these Instance numbers?

IE:

Input: Instance - 101 Size 128 (16-bit)
Output: Instance - 102 Size 128 (16-bit)
Config: Instance - 2 Size 0 (8 bit)

Thanks

Many devices use Assemblies 1 and 2 for Input and Output, or Assemblies 101 and 102.

You'll find others that emulate some pre-defined assemblies like 71, 72, 121, and others that are part of the ODVA definitions for Overload Relay or AC Drive or Position Controller.

The Most Important Thing to understand about "Generic EtherNet/IP Device" is that this means a device that implements the ODVA's Assembly object for I/O connections.

It doesn't mean "Generic Ethernet device that uses IP addressing and TCP transport but isn't meant to work with ControlLogix".

Thanks Ken.

Is there any functional difference between assembly instance 1 vs 101 (or any instance in general).

Why would a vendor choose one over the other?

Is there a list of the available instances?

I'm not sure what the functional differences are between Assembly 1 and Assembly 101.

Assembly numbers 100+ are the "Vendor Defined" assemblies.

If you use an Assembly number under 100, you're required to use the ODVA definition for that Assembly number.

All the Assemblies are defined in the ODVA specifications, which are part of ODVA membership (i.e. not public or no-charge).

What is your target device ?

A Turck BL67 module:
http://www.turck-usa.com/illustrations/M6827246 (sheet_2).pdf

I actually don't know much about the device. The program got dumped on my lap and I'm just browsing through the hardware config to see where everything was being mapped.

I haven't used the generic Ethernet before so I just wanted to know of the assembly instance was set by the user or vendor / device specific.

Assembly istance for Parker AR13-CE controllers

Can anyone help me regarding assembly instance input, output and configuration number for parker AR13-CE controller.