Info for Ken

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Ken. I used the SCIA editor to retrieve the DPI fault of the SMC Flex soft starter.

The returned values were

03 00 00 00 4C 69 6E 65 .???Line
20 4C 6F 73 73 20 43 20 LossC
20 20 20 20 00 00 00 00 ????
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ????????

03 as a fault code is line loss 3.
Trying to retrieve the data with a message block errors with "undetermined error". I think the destination tag type is wrong. At present I am trying an array of 10 Dints.

Version 11 of logix changes the first 2 numbers of my path to "devicenet" ie if I enter 1,7,2,8 it automatically converts to devicenet,2,8

I also tried the SCIA on a powerflex and it returned approximately double the info so I cannot rely on the 20-comm-d manual for the structure of the return.

When I get a bit more spare time I will research more. Regards Alan Case

SMC Flex fault queue

It looks from that like the 20-COMM-D with the SMC-Flex is supporting at least part of the DPI Fault Object. According to the definition in the 20-COMM-D user manual page C-29, this data represents:

03 00 Fault Code
00 DPI Port
00 DPI Device Object
"Line Loss C " Fault String (16 characters)
00 00 00 00 Timer Value
00 00 00 00 Time Validity

Because of the zeroes in the Timer and the Valid Data / Timer Type I'd say that the Time Stamp is not supported in this SMC Flex firmware. There's also a "Container[n]" data object defined in this Fault Object, so maybe the PowerFlex drive supports more of the object than the SMC Flex does.

If all you need is the Fault Code, you may have it just from the first byte, so you can discard all the extra data once you get the MSG working. The Destination length should not matter, and you have the path correct for messaging from the 1756-DNB in Slot 7 to the SMC-Flex at Node 8. Hmm... another challenge.

Hi Ken, tomorrow I will message back a simple parameter to make sure the address is correct and go from there. Regards Alan