AB fixed brick 20 IO

egoplast

I was given a AB 20 I/O PLC with a hand held programmer to build a trainer.

I've been messing around with the programmer and can not insert bits into the ladder program: Every time I try to add an bit instruction I get the message "File cannot be created". I have tried various addressing and still not luck.

I can add timers with no problem, but when it comes to I1: or O0: addresses I get the error message.

I have a 1747-L20L AB brick and a 1747-PT1 ser.A HHT
I am only using the built in I/O on the PLC
inputs 0-15
outputs 0-7

When I try to add a XIC or XIO I am using the address I1:x/x (the unit then formats the address to I1:X.X/0
The same thing with trying to assign outputs: O0:X/X etc.

I have searched the pdf for the HHT for the error code and have found no mention of it. I have looked through the PDF for the PLC and still nothing, and the AB SLC 500 reference doesn't give me any information.

Since I can add timers to the ladder (using the T4:X format) I believe there is something in the addressing that is not allowing the PLC to assign the bit to either I/O.

Thanks o_O

Why are you putting a number before the colon? For inputs and outputs, you don't use the data file number like you do for the other registers (B3:, T4:, etc.). As lightning said, try I: instead of I1:, and O: instead of O0:

I haven't used an HHT in Y-E-A-R-S!... :D

🍻

-Eric

You are aware that the I Inputs and O Outputs are fixed and you are not able create them by adding more.

Although you should be able to use XIO or XIC with the existing set of inputs and outputs that the 1747 L20L has

Try this an see if it works
Try B3/0... B3/1... etc as the bits and see if you can add them

Found it, the proc was the wrong setting. Once I got it to the right proc setting it made all the difference in the world.

The battery in the HHT is dead and so each time the unit turns off the select-processor (SEL-PROC) setting changes back to the default model. Basically I was focusing on the wrong end of the problem; it couldn't create the file because the processor unit on the plc didn't match up with the processor selected in the HHT.