info motor

Its all there on the nameplate. Looks like it is a Wound Rotor Induction Motor. The stator is able to be connected 220V in Delta, or 380V in Star, the FLC at 220V is 17.1 and at 380V is 9.9, the power factor is .78 at full load. The rotor voltage will be 130V, 20amps. Its designed for 50Hz operation, 4pole so 1420RPM is the slip steed. The enclosure rating is IP54, it is a standard IM B5 frame if you need mounting information.

The motor was made in Germany, the number starting with "1LS9..." is the catalog number from Siemens, the other long string of numbers is the serial number, from which you could get a torque-speed curve if you like by calling them.

Last edited:
Thanks jraef,

but i don't understand the this terminal with letter K , L , M.

what the function for this letter.

(old motor)

(attachment)

Terminal_Cable.jpg

jraef - I think you may have misread the plate . The photo is not very clear but I think the 4 refers to the power - 4 Kw . The maximum speed is given as 3000 rpm - this is the synchronous speed for a 2 pole motor at 50 Hz .
osmanmom - The terminals K , L and M are the connections for the slip rings and , for manual control , are connected to a 3 phase resistor bank .
For more information , you could try searching for slip ring motors .

Paul

Paul

jraef - I think you may have misread the plate . The photo is not very clear but I think the 4 refers to the power - 4 Kw . The maximum speed is given as 3000 rpm - this is the synchronous speed for a 2 pole motor at 50 Hz .
osmanmom - The terminals K , L and M are the connections for the slip rings and , for manual control , are connected to a 3 phase resistor bank .
For more information , you could try searching for slip ring motors .

Paul

Paul
I think you are right about the 4 being 4kW, I looked at it in negative and you can see the kW more clearly now (old trick I learned about looking at pictures of old worn motor nameplates).

But the main plate says "1/min" 1420 on the right side; the 1/min is Siemens shorthand for RPM (revolutions / minute), which would be a reasonable slip speed for a 4 pole motor, hence my jumping to that conclusion.

The lower notation about the maximum speed being 3000 1/min is referring to the use of an inverter capable of putting out 100Hz. This is telling you that the motor bearings and rotor balance are suitable for use up to 3000RPM maximum.

I used to work for Siemens so I have a bit of an unfair advantage.

Thanks guys for the reply,

IMO the small ac motor rotate the big motor M1 then generate energy then supply to M2 running on low/med speed .

(working on converting old machine without manual/diagram - miserable project )

jraef thanks for the correction - and for the info . I did not know you could use an inverter with a slip ring motor . How do you set up the slip ring circuit ? I would have thought that using fixed resistors might cause some headaches particularly if braking is required .

Paul

jraef thanks for the correction - and for the info . I did not know you could use an inverter with a slip ring motor . How do you set up the slip ring circuit ? I would have thought that using fixed resistors might cause some headaches particularly if braking is required .

Paul
Running, no problem using a VFD and a fixed resistance for the optimum torque speed curve (or even with the rotor shorted if the drive is good enough). But yes, BRAKING, as is often done on slip ring motors and the resistors, becomes a little more complicated.

Thanks guys for the reply,

IMO the small ac motor rotate the big motor M1 then generate energy then supply to M2 running on low/med speed .

(working on converting old machine without manual/diagram - miserable project )
Ah, we call that small motor a "pony motor", because it is used just to accelerate the larger motor mass, then the prime mover takes over to turn the larger one into a generator. If this motor is the smaller one, that makes sense. Wound Rotors were / are a good way to accomplish acceleration of high inertia loads over a long time without damaging the motor, in the days before VFDs were common.