1747-AENTR, module fault code 16#0204

pholonitch

I am in the process of migrating an SLC5/04 system to CompactLogix using a 1747-AENTR. I have two 13-Slot SLC chassis populated as shown in the attached picture. Beginning with Slot 10 (1746-NO4I), there are yellow triangles next to the slot numbers. If I double click on the Slot 10 module, the pop-up box indicates fault code 16#0204 Connection Request Error. I compared the settings to the previous Slot 9 (also 1746-NO4I) and everything is identical. The Requested Packet Interval is at the default 20ms. Is that too fast? What else might cause this error?

The rest of the system:
Studio 5000 version 30
1769-L33ER flashed ver. 30
direct connected to 1747-AENTR
also connected to a PanelView
no other network connections

Let me know what other information is needed.

IMG_20230209_134144047.jpg IMG_20230209_133311890.jpg

I don't have the software open right now, but do you configure the chassis size when you add the -AENTR to the IO tree? If so, verify it's right. Starting with slot 10 hints to me that it's configured as a 10-slot chassis. I could be wrong, though.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community, and thanks for the screenshots / photos.

I noticed that there are skipped slot numbers in the configuration; slots 3, 8, 12, 16, 22, and 23 are all unpopulated. Is that accurate ? They do seem to skip a slot in between groups of similar devices.

As you have seen, the 1747-AENTR makes a CIP "Module" connection to each I/O module individually instead of collecting up all the modules, or just the simple discrete ones, in an Assembly for the whole I/O chassis. That eats up I/O connections quickly, but the 1769-L33ER should support 32 EtherNet/IP connections and you're only showing 8 active.

The "split" between the functioning and non-functioning modules isn't the 13-slot backplane connection ribbon cable because it doesn't happen between Slots 11 and 12.

Go back to the 1747-AENTR configuration applet and the first tab, on which there's a Module Definition section. Double-check the "Chassis Size" value, because that will have a selectable 1747 chassis size, and it might be configured for a 10-slot chassis.

(Joseph beat me to it. Ignoring the connections to the subsequent modules strongly suggests that Chassis Size is set to 10, for a 1747-A10 chassis).

I don't have the software open right now, but do you configure the chassis size when you add the -AENTR to the IO tree? If so, verify it's right. Starting with slot 10 hints to me that it's configured as a 10-slot chassis. I could be wrong, though.

Looks like chassis size is correct at 25?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community, and thanks for the screenshots / photos. Thanks, Ken. I've been a long time viewer but this is the first time I couldn't find a solid answer.

I noticed that there are skipped slot numbers in the configuration; slots 3, 8, 12, 16, 22, and 23 are all unpopulated. Is that accurate ? They do seem to skip a slot in between groups of similar devices. That is accurate. Slots were deliberately skipped for future additions.

As you have seen, the 1747-AENTR makes a CIP "Module" connection to each I/O module individually instead of collecting up all the modules, or just the simple discrete ones, in an Assembly for the whole I/O chassis. That eats up I/O connections quickly, but the 1769-L33ER should support 32 EtherNet/IP connections and you're only showing 8 active.

The "split" between the functioning and non-functioning modules isn't the 13-slot backplane connection ribbon cable because it doesn't happen between Slots 11 and 12.

Go back to the 1747-AENTR configuration applet and the first tab, on which there's a Module Definition section. Double-check the "Chassis Size" value, because that will have a selectable 1747 chassis size, and it might be configured for a 10-slot chassis.

(Joseph beat me to it. Ignoring the connections to the subsequent modules strongly suggests that Chassis Size is set to 10, for a 1747-A10 chassis).

I did see in another thread that someone had a similar issue and the "fix" was to delete the modules from the tree and then manually add them back in. I didn't know if this was the best way to fix the problem. I am worried about losing tags and/or Studio 5000 creating new tags if I re-add the modules. To make things worse, I won't have access to our customer's PLC again until it is time to get the system back up and running. So I'm hoping to go in with a bullet proof solution.

racks.jpg

Since I don't have access to the AENTR module at the moment, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the label on the side of the module said FW 2.003.

I have version 30 of Studio 5000 so I most likely have the correct AOP, but this is definitely something worth looking at. While working offline, it appears that I am able to select version 2.x. As shown in the attached picture, it's probably configured as version 1.001 at the moment.

Thank you for the knowledgebase link. I appreciate your assistance.

aentr02.png

SOLVED!

Just to follow up, I changed the 1747-AENTR firmware revision to 2.003 and downloaded. The problem with not connecting to half of the I/O modules persisted.

I tried the other approach I had read about and that did the trick. Basically, as I mentioned above, delete a module from the tree and then add it back in (to the same slot.) After dowloading, the communications problem went away. Also, I did not have to fiddle with any of the tags.