Automation direct

Timothy, you wrote:

I'm getting ready to shell out big bucks for the latest edition of RS Logix, for no better reason than this : if I have to order a processor to replace a unit on the floor, my current version will not communicate with it at all.

Is it meaning you have to order AB's replace part with same firmware version than your original part have ? Can you handle it with your 'not updated' developper version ?
Will they supply with old FW ?

"27 million of that was for Allen-Bradley equipment and associated electrical equipment. (could this be a reason for such good treatment?)"

Ya think mebbe so, Roger?

A-B makes a lot of great products. Nowadays, a lot of people make a lot of great products. I still think, in the majority of cases, the degree of dedication to a single vendor is inversely proportional to the number of other platforms experienced. Most of the other cases can be attributed to the platform on which PLC prgramming was first learned.

My company has used a great many different PLC platforms. Every one has their strength, and every one (including my favorite) has their weaknesses.

AB Support fees

I dont know about you, but the 125 bucks a year I pay for a maintenance on RSLogix is a deal if u ask me. Sure beats the hell out of paying 15,000 a year for Wonderware or 5,000 - 20,000 for many ERP systems. In fact, we are switching from Wonderware to RsView because AB only wants 500 a year for rsview maintenance...

Not about the $$

Regarding the contract :

Call me cheap... on second thought, don't. Truth is, I work for corporate America, and it's not my money. Shelling out $125 for the service contract ain't going to bankrupt us.

It's the IDEA that galls me. Remember when customer service meant servicing a customer? It still does - from the agricultural definition of "servicing".

I buy a product. I have an issue, or question. This company is already paying tech support to answer questions. How do they have the nerve to charge me for the privelege of answering questions about THEIR product?!

Okay, so A-B isn't the only one. And so they're cheaper than most.

Big deal. The fact that they're not the only, or worst, offenders makes them no less offensive.

About the firmware :

The info I have from our salesman is, all new product is shipped with the latest firmware, and thou at stuck with it, so sayeth the A-B. Upgrade ye now, for the end of your service contract draweth nigh!

Ahem... sorry, it's Sunday...

Anyhow, my understanding is that you can't downgrade firmware, and you simply have to knuckle under and buy the latest RSLogix. This infuriates me on so many levels, I'd need a shrink just to identify them, never mind explain them.

TM

Tim. My understanding is that the control logix processors ship with no fimware installed. (and the ones I used were all empty) You have to flash them with what ever version you wish to use. If you have say version 10 of the software then all the firmware flashes for 10 back to the first version (maybe not 1) are on your CD. You just make your choice. Regards Alan Case

Wasnt this about ADC?

Ever buy an electronic item from KMart, Walmart, Best Buy, CompUSA or any retailer? Isnt the first thing they ask at checkout is do you want to purchase the extended warranty?

Any item you buy from anywhere/any company only offers a service/warranty for a certain period of time. The norm is 1 year but it may be longer in some cases depending on the product.

This is personal opinion.

Buying software of any brand and expecting to be able to call after the service/warranty period to recieve FREE assistance is ridiculous. MS, Apple, nor any of the Linux distributors will do that. I have worked with many brands of software as a seller/installer/integrator, I have never known of any company that is willing 2, 3, 4, or however many years later, to be willing to offer free support. I deal with OEM's that if you havent used their onsite tech support in a while would not assist you with problems.

Its a simple fact, I dont, you dont and they dont work for free. There has to be some form of compensation to maintain the support group.

Actually I think you got off cheap, the last time I had to pay for the maintenance it was over $300 but that was for dos based software about the time RSLogix came out.

We should never forget this is just one side of a world of business. We are just implementers or users of a very diverse and changing field.

My last comment on this.

rsdoran, being from Franlin, Tn, you should know that Siemens still supports the old TI305 (Koyo) PLCs for free. 1-800-333-7421 ,1

RRobbins said:
rsdoran, being from Franlin, Tn, you should know that Siemens still supports the old TI305 (Koyo) PLCs for free. 1-800-333-7421 ,1

That number is probably automatically forwarded to ADC, where you can buy NEW TI305's
(though you'll see DirectLogic 305 on the front)... :D

Nice to see that this thread has come full circle... Right back to the topic of A-D... :p

Oh, and Ken, here's a sign you might find handy...
weird_thread.gif

beerchug

-Eric

Just a thought from a newbie MAYBE AD doesn't have all of the modules that AB has because everyone always turns to AB for the dificult stuff and don't give AD a chance to come up with an answer. My point being that maybe if people would start takeing their problems to AD then AD would come up with resonably priced soulutions. Question would you design and build something that you were only going to sell one of most likly not with a few exceptions but for the most part no. So why should AD when everyone turns to AB before they even ask " Would AD be interested in helping us with this problem " Chances are give time and opertunity I beleive that AD will come up and be as good as AB and always at a beter price. I have both in my plant and like both but in all fairness I think that AB is to expensive and that AD will continue to grow and come up with new and better products wich will compete with AB in every market very soon. Just a tought tho!

What's in a name anyway?

Over the years I have seen various components that are the same exact item under a different name and package.These include plcs,setpoint controllers,power supplies,drives,relays and on and on.The truth is that most "electronic devices" have become comodities and we really have no idea were these items are assembled,regardless of who's name is on the box.

One reason why there are so many modules for the SLC has to do with two programs that AB has. I can't remember what they are called, but by purchasing a chip that provides the protocol for the backplane, allows others to develop modules for the SLC platform. It is a pretty smart move on ABs part. You sell a chip, allow others to develop specialty modules and sell all the other parts. I think that is a win win win.

Since this popped back up, and I was an active participant, I wanted to point out that in the intervening years since it last came around, my opinion on service contracts and AB have improved. The service contract is pretty much an industry norm now, so I no longer judge AB against it, and I do find their tech support very helpful.

Personally, I can't stand Automation Direct software - probably been spoiled by Visilogic :)

TM

I haven't seen this thread before, but after reading the quote below I've just got to chime in.

Jiri Toman said:
There were times when I had to talk to AB people who actually
designed some of their products. Can you do that with Koyo?
Oh, I forgot, everyone should speak Japanese.

Uhh, actually, yes... In fact you can even talk to some of them by calling AutomationDirect in Cumming, GA. Others you have to call Japan, but they are mostly available and a surprising number of them speak very fluent English.

I too have been in the AD camp for a number of years (actually ever since I got into the automation field in 98); I've never used anything other than an AD PLC (except some old Omron C28Ks) and as such you won't see me make many (if any) negitive comments towards AB or others (except maybe price).

Basically AD markets their PLCs direct to the customer; they cut out the middle man (distributers) and pass most of the savings on to the end users/customers. I will admit that this means I can't call across town and yell loud enough to have someone drive over to my office right this second, but I can call Cumming, GA and talk to a small group of VERY experianced tech support guys.

In my opinion AD cuts the middle man out both in sales and tech support; with AD I can call and get someone on the phone who knows the AD PLC inside and out and has several other people literally sitting a few feet away that he can ask (or transfer me to) if needed.