Votes: 17 14.5%
  • There is too much tech / electrician / engineer bashing

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • There is too much PLC Brand Name bashing

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • I don't see a problem

Votes: 97 82.9%

• Total voters
It's obvious from reading some of the posts, that the person is so lost, or so inexperienced that they don't even know what to ask. I have avoided answering several because I'm too busy to email back and forth a dozen times. But, if we all think back, I'm sure we have all had times when we were totally lost and really didn't even know where to begin. Also, there seems a language barrier at times.

I think everyone needs to exercise a little patience and courtesy, and if the question is too vague or if you don't have time to play 20 questions, leave it alone.

It might also be good if there were a beginners section to the forum.

Originally posted by juice76:

But, if we all think back, I'm sure we have all had times when we were totally lost and really didn't even know where to begin.

I think the difference is, at least for many of us, that we went through this stage before the Internet was a big thing. If we hit that point we had no recourse but to do alot of research through different media to come up with the answer. Some of us dug through books, some of us talked to colleagues, some of us called vendors. But we had to work at finding an answer because we had no choice.

Now along comes the Internet. It's easier to take the 20 seconds to type a one sentence question like 'What is a prox sensor?' than to do some digging through several different sources to find the answer. Some call this simply efficient; others call it lazy. Which, to a large degree, explains why some will bash a question like that and others won't.

Keith

I was one of the bashers at one point. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that I wasn't accomplishing anything, and hurting myself. The bashee would never get the point- they would just think, "What an @#*^%^" and leave the forum. As for myself, I was just becoming one.

I figure the best way to deal with a lazy student is to ignore them. They will either come back with a better question or go away.

I am also glad I use my real name as it has prevented me from saying some really stupid stuff.

Since I've got me a kinder, gentler haircut, I has made a conscious effert t' not pick on sum o' them poor fellers whut ask dumb questions.

It ain't their fault if'n they cain't think logicly 'nuff to give sum o' the required info, and if they cain't be bothered t' do any research on their own. I don't see no point in askin' rhetorical type questions like "How's they ever gonna learn nuthin without no pain nor no incentive to develop a little resiliency?"

And it is purt near obvious thet the world don't need no brightenin' with a little humor if'n there is any possibility what-some-ever thet someone, somewhere, somehow, is gonna take serious whut was jist poked at them in fun. We all knows what cosmic consequences is gonna result from thet kind o' rude awakenin'!

I reckon whut Phil needs t' do is put a refrigerator on this hyar site so's we can take them posts and put 'em up with virtual magnets. Then them fellers kin jist continue to feel good about themselves, whether they deserves it er not!

PLucas said:
When are you going to update your avator then Tom?

Paul

Jist as soon as I kin find a camera whut has a heavy duty three phase PWM isolation lense so it kin stand the strain. It might have t' be wide angle as well - we ain't nun of us gittin' yunger (nor thinner neither)!

Thet there avatar pithcer was taken on a trip to Washington DC, and it were done usin' a special tuorist duty rig - built for hot air service, bein' it was DC 'n all. I tried to use it on a trip t' North Dakota, which sadly wuz the end o' thet photografee rig!

Don't say it wasn't coming.

MYHEAD3.gif

Rick, thet is 'zactly why I need thet special camera! I got me a nuclear powered haircut, which is great, but they didn't warn me about the lingerin' radioactive glow.

Does thet there Smoke & Mirrors Inc. have a legal department? Mebbe I kin sue somebody someplace about somethin'. It jist don't seem rite thet I should ought to have to suffer a'tall!

Tom

I wouldn't worry about your head glowing, I would be more concerned with what was done to your eyebrows and that funny tattoo you have had done above your left eye.

Paul

Tom,

Hows come yous guys up North always associate southerners with stupidity! If you want to be a yankee juirk, we can start a bashing of our own!

juice76 said:
Hows come yous guys up North always associate southerners with stupidity!

It's the opposite on this side of the pond, us Southerners associate stupidity with the Northerners. Just to clarify that point, I consider anywhere north of the Thames as 'up north'. That's my dividing line not the Watford gap.

Paul

P.S I thought all you guys that side of the pond were yankees! :)

I think we need to add to the poll:

There needs to be more bashing.

Most of us here have been in the situation with 10 supervisors breathing down our neck. When is the damn thing going to run? What kind of stupid design was that? What idiot designed this?

Hey,

I think we are doing them a favor and preparing them for the real world.

P.S.

I try to answer questions when I can, but when it comes to the student questions, I leave to the professional bashers.

kamenges said:
I think the difference is, at least for many of us, that we went through this stage before the Internet was a big thing
I have always thought there were answers if one was willing to put in enough "sweat" to find it. I have always lived in what I considered the VAST WASTELAND of west central Illinois, meaning {to most people} if it wasn't available at the corner hardware store, it didn't exist. Well I was willing to find it and adapt it to my needs. That's what this place is all about!
Even though I consider myself as a OLD ****, New to this Forum, and inexperienced with PLC's. I do not believe there is any excessive BASHING on this forum. At times we all NEED to be bashed a little. Yes, being a person who wears his heart on his sleeve, It hurts a little, but that is a good thing. It makes one think! As far it goes (not very) I have not found any place where there are so many people WILLING to trully help out a fellow.
My thanks to Phil & You-All

Butch

I reckon I can get in this here one, in da US we got a thing called the Mason-Dixon line which was revised to basically separate the North and South..ie that thar dispute between free states and slave states which eventually started a thing called the Civil War. The north were the Yankees and we all were Confederates.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099088/

Its one of those sound system typin things but in reality it is/was basically true, many in the south did talk the way Tom was BUT so do/does people all over the US even today. The gist of it though is that southerners in general were ignorant and acted ignorant in many ways, it took a couple of lifetimes for us to come out of dem hills.

I growed up talkin that way and was about as ignorant as a person could be but I werent stupid. I had to do some more of that sound system stuff, a concerted effort, not to be lazy and use all that thar slang and shortcuts when talkin, the "drawl" was the hard part.

THis here is a good example of someone jes playin and someone takin offence thinkin its aimed at them whether directly or indirectly.

Jeff Foxworthy and the Blue Collar group make fun of southerners/rednecks all the time, they also point out that redneckism and ignorance is not confined to southerners.

BTW I have been here a fair amount of time and have gone thru a little bit of that thar bashing, might even call some of it more of a war then bashing. I gets a little opinionated on some things but one of the reasons I hang around is because I have learned my opinion(s) are not always properly thought out, thar may be things I didnt thunk of.

Ifn we gonna gets technical I aints no engineer or no tech, jes a guy that hopes he can offer or learnt somethin from time to time. This site has taught me more about the differences in people and their lives than it has about plcs.

Oh yeah, Tom has been doin that fer years and I never thot at any time he was tryin to make fun of anyone, exceptin maybe himself.

Last edited: