• There is too much tech / electrician / engineer bashing

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • There is too much PLC Brand Name bashing

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • I don't see a problem

Votes: 97 82.9%

• Total voters
Origianlly posted by juice76:

Hows come yous guys up North always associate southerners with stupidity! If you want to be a yankee juirk, we can start a bashing of our own!

Dere ya go, lumpin' us all together, donchaknow!

'Hows' an 'Yous' an 'eh' an 'davenport' come from my neck a da woods. I tink 'juirk' is more of a Boston ting, along with 'cah' an 'bah' an 'beah' an some such, enso?

So lets say we go to the tarvern and have us a few bers, enso?

This site to me has always been a means of resource finding and knowledge base where I can hopefully find the answers that I need from someone who is more experienced or knowledgeable than I. Sometimes it helps to read and look around first to see if maybe someone out there has the same question that I do, but I have always found that in all my questions when I act like a professional I am treated as such. I suppose it's a case of you get what you put in. I have never had an overly sarcastic response or been bashed for asking a specific question, and I at times am the self proclaimed King of Stupid Questions. (take for example my Proface panic attack) You ask, you learn, you move on and hopefully you will someday benefit someone else with what you have learned here.

juice76 said:
Tom,

Hows come yous guys up North always associate southerners with stupidity! If you want to be a yankee juirk, we can start a bashing of our own!

Well, first off my daddy was from Missouri, so I is acshully pretty partial to Suthron types.

Second, I is tryin' to emulate my favorite author, Mark Twain, a Suthron feller, who had a knack fer writing dialogue in accents.

Third, I iz acshully tryin' to do more of a Texas or Westrun dialect.

Finally, as Ron has pointed out, I iz mostly makin' fun o mysef, and I is tryin' t' add a little humor to life, and I figgers a feller ought to take his werk seriously but not hisself!

Don't fret Tom--I'm in Texas and I realize the tone in your voice. I've been hassled about my speaking for years. When in the Navy, my ship went to England and Holland. As soon as I ordered my first beer and paid for it, the rest of my beers were bought by locals who could tell by my drawl where I was from.

I'm proud to be from Texas and if my speaking gives it away--so be it.

Well, thanks Rube. I got's a daughter livin' in Johnson City, TX, and I know better than to mess with Texas! I'm jist havin' a little fun is all, and I is glad you reconginzes it.

But, if we all think back, I'm sure we have all had times when we were totally lost and really didn't even know where to begin.

This usually only occurs to me when I'm dealing with affairs of the heart or legal matters. So let me tell you, being married to a lawyer can be quite confusing...

Peter Nachtwey said:
Not me. If you don't know the answer the next step is research. There is very little that any of us are doing that hasn't been done before.

Exactly. I will help anyone as much as possible as long as they have shown some effort, but when someone says "Where can I find a Siemens manual?", I skip over the post. If they can't use google, they shouldn't be programming anything.

But, when I see a post like that, I don't get upset. In fact, I never understood people who get upset at things that are said on a message board, but it seems to be a common phenomenon. All anyone has to do is ignore the post.

S7Guy said:
But, when I see a post like that, I don't get upset. In fact, I never understood people who get upset at things that are said on a message board, but it seems to be a common phenomenon. All anyone has to do is ignore the post.

Agree. I think disrespect actually goes both ways.

Those that:
1. want others to do their research
2. expect others to tell them all they know on a forum without regard to the time and effort it takes to learn the info. That is what college and advanced degrees are for.
3. don't make it easy for others to help them by not providing all the info needed for an inform answer or by providing links to the information if available.

show a lack of respect to others that may have sacrificed much to learn what they know and their time. How many actually read the new here?

Imagine if Grasshopper asked master Po to teach him the all kung fu he knows in time for the Friday night bar fights.

I apologize but I have to disagree

Peter and S7 I agree you have the prerogative not to comment on any thread.

I disagree on some points concerning your concepts about some of the people that ask questions. In general your concepts would be the same as Volta, Faraday, Einstein and other saying figure it out yourself.

Many of the manufacturer websites can be difficult to navigate, Siemens especially but there are others I dislike more.

In reality many people know what the need but are not sure what it is called. There are times when people know what they need/want to do but are not sure how to begin.

You can honestly say that you have never called manufacturing tech support or had other engineers and/or techs involved in a situation? You have always done it on your own...including design and build all the components for all your systems?

I get frustrated sometimes and can be rude etc because getting the necessary information is like pulling teeth.

I agree many of the questions are simple but that is because you have how many years in this area? Some of the people here are students (as in children) or even if older they are still children to the fields involved here.

Using your concepts would be the same as telling your child. at age 4, when they ask "Where do babies come from?" and you reply "We have Encyclopedia Brittanica, look it up." I was going to offer more but it would sound too sarcastic.

Would you wait for that child to finish college before having a conversation because they are not capable of doing it at a level you deem appropriate?

I am personally convinced Peter that you are very intelligent, but you fail to realize that not all people may have the same abilities or intellegence you have.

I am probably one of the least educated and least capable person on this site when it comes to PLC's but once in a while I show some insight and provide an answer or 2, this makes it worthwhile to participate on a forum like this.

The site is dedicated to learning plcs, should everyone be a MIT graduate to come here to learn? It is possible they have to learn more but unless it is explained to them how will they know? There will also be those that just will not listen or learn, that is inevitable too.

rsdoran said:
The site is dedicated to learning plcs, should everyone be a MIT graduate to come here to learn? It is possible they have to learn more but unless it is explained to them how will they know? There will also be those that just will not listen or learn, that is inevitable too.

I don't think anyone is saying that people need to ne MIT grads. I expect I am also one of the least educated people on this board. But I have worked for 15 years with this Siemens stuff, and 99% of the time I figured it out for myself. When I started, there was no internet, and being on third shift, there was no available support either. It's amazing what you can accomplish under duress.

In the past, I have volunteered hundreds of hours helping at local schools in the industrial automation field. I will literally drop what I am doing and explain anything to anyone who I feel is making a sincere effort. But really, to post a question like "Where can I download a Siemens manual?" Right away, I can see they aren't even trying. Yeah, the Siemens site is kind of bad until you figure it out, but jeez, the person looking for the manual might potentially be trying to change a program on a machine that could kill someone. I guess I just expect a better effort.

People can ask any question they want here. I just don't understand the people who get upset. And, I can easily understand the people who breeze by the "lazy" questions without a second thought.

...eventually started a thing called the Civil War

Ron, I have rarely heard a deep down, Alabama Southerner call it the Civil War. My granddad (whose father fought on the Southern side) said there was nothing "civil" about it and would never let the kids call it anything except the War between the States. I think most Southerners at the time were fighting for the idea of states having rights that the federal government could not violate. That notion died with the war unfortunately. Very few Rebel soldiers owned (or could afford to own) slaves.

Lancie1 said:
Ron, I have rarely heard a deep down, Alabama Southerner call it the Civil War. My granddad (whose father fought on the Southern side) said there was nothing "civil" about it and would never let the kids call it anything except the War between the States. I think most Southerners at the time were fighting for the idea of states having rights that the federal government could not violate. That notion died with the war unfortunately. Very few Rebel soldiers owned (or could afford to own) slaves.

I do not nor would normally say civil but its the term that is most recognized. Most people these days, even in the south, will never believe or accept it was about state rights, all the emphasis is put on the slavery issue which makes the South the "bad guys."

This is another topic that I have strong feelings about that probably should not be discussed on this forum because it is far off topic. I just used it as a reference to show why Northerners were refered to as yankees, while England refers to Americans as yanks.

The real point is there is "some truth" to any stereotyping especially where the southern US is concerned, it like anything eles just depends.

Bubba can be a name/term of endearment or derogatory, here is an example of a Bubba that has done ok with the name, it is a local radio show that covers many cities in the South.
http://www.rickandbubba.com/

One of these days I will learn how to write (compose) properly. I, like many (even today), did not have the opportunity for a good education when young...ie the basics are not provided for an understanding of more advanced concepts.

What irks, for lack of a better word, me are engineers or those better educated that consistently mis-spell words and use poor grammar but criticize others for less. Confidence should not be replaced with being egotistical.

I once had a debate on here about diodes, a person stated that he was an engineer of many years experience and diodes did not convert (rectify) AC to DC.

I am getting old so I reserve my right to be contrary when I want too but I also try to give the benefit of the doubt in many situations.

I still believe this is one of the best methods of research offered today. Why not ask those that know? Research may still be necessary but those that know may offer the direction that is needed.

If I was as smart, educated, and experienced as some of you I would not hesistate (I do not anyway) to provide instead of demean or be complacent.

How would you feel if a teacher repeatedly called your kids stupid or demeaned them for not knowing...by participating on this type forum you are a "teacher". All teachers are also students.

BTW: This thread was a poll, by Casey, on whether there was too much bashing. What should the original poster do? I added this to see if its read, it is aimed at a reply that was made to me.

Last edited: