firmware update from Rockwell AB for AB Powerflex

jets

Hi,

I need to get firmware updates from AB for some Powerflex 4s and 40s that I have, I understand I need an account. Is the cost annual and does it allow me to do updates for all my drives drive.

I would think a support subscription would allow FW updates for all AB equipment.

BTW what is the hardware I need to update the drive, can I do it over RS485 with a USB to RS485 converter. I did some updates to AB drives 20 years ago but forget how LOL.

It doesn’t cost anything to download firmware but you do have to “register” an account on the website.

Really I have an account but I think I could never get any firmware. I will go back and check again.

What hardware do I need if I manage to get the FW to update the drive?

Ok so are the firmware files the ones that end in *.eds. If so I have them.

In the excel spreadsheet I see "other" and the "ProdTypeStr" is that product type string? So I need the DSI one (RS-485)?

*.EDS files are text Electronic Data Sheets that describe the features and parameters of a VFD to a software tool like RSLinx or RSNetworx. They are not firmware.

You aren't finding field firmware files for the PowerFlex 4 and 40 family drives because they are not field upgradeable, or at least they haven't been since they switched to masked ROM devices about 11 years ago.

The 4M and 400 have some limited field upgrade features, but I think you need a particular tool, not ordinary ControlFlash like you would use for a 70/700 series drive.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/42454/loc/en_US#__highlight

If you have a specific need to upgrade your drives, get in touch with your local Rockwell Automation field office.