Forever knowledge. Learning may take forever.

Wow, 20 posts since i fell asleep... heres opinion before I passed out, take it with good cheers fella's!

As an "un"degreed tech, I suppose learning some physics would be at the top of my list if I didn't have to work 65 hours a week, figure out controlLogix, learn visual basic, learn C++, learn the O.S.I. model, learn different networking switchgear/routing equipment,learn SQL, which in turn wants me to learn crystal reports, and learn scripting, and learn about DSN and forests and trees and learn unix and learn servers and learn the stuff that I learned years ago, but forgot, and learn to weld, and learn not too p*ss off the new management, and learn how to change the spark plugs on this new, all too typical, engineering degree'd individual, who thinks everyone in the world had fingers as small as the minimum allowed clearence spec in his cheat book requires to change a spark plug , type new car. Besides, needing to learn all these various hmi packages we have, and the siemens, and the old stuff I'm still learning, and hey, how bout all the projects I'm put on now, which I need to learn, because I have absolutely no idea what they want, but I should learn how to "know" what they want'cause they said they want something to do something, and they want it installed somewhere around "here."

In the meantime, I need to just keep things going, and do it safe, and if it's not safe, learn how to do it safe.
And let's not forget,learn how to teach these new employees who don't want to learn.

BTW, did I mention there might be other things, to learn...yea, silly things like playing the guitar. Although this is for people who don't want to learn about what it takes to be a learner.
Learning to play the guitar on your own time indicates an individual who, like myself, would likely not be able to troubleshoot his way out of a paper bag, since I'm not using the 8 hours a week free time the company affords me to learn physics.

Yes, I wish I was an engineer, but I'm not.

Yes, I agree, without some fundamentals, I quickly get confused, but I don't get paid to do the complex engineering work, because, I'm not the engineer, I get the pleasure of working off-shift and weekends...Yearlong!

I believe this site is PLC related. No question is stupid.

If you want more complex questions, keep asking them, you always get replies, and believe it or not...you always spark interest!

Don't get discouraged, theres plenty of highly educated individuals calcuating the effects of nuclear fallout right now...with safer side effects!

I wish everything was easier, but I'd probably never learn anything...

Terry Woods said:
How many of you think that you are smarter than those, relatively speaking, troglodytes? Troglodytes? Troglodytes are basically cavemen.

I am not saying you are making it, but a common mistake is to assume that people in the distant past were less intelligent than we are now. They just had fewer tools (such as calculus) available to them.

"We are standing on the shoulders of giants"

Keep in mind that are some physics an mathematics that the physicists and mathematitions don't understand. Are they relevant to our everyday world? No. But if the race makes it another 300 years, we will be troglodytes.

Rick said...
"I am not saying you are making it, but a common mistake is to assume that people in the distant past were less intelligent than we are now."

No, Rick. I'm not making that mistake. My question was structured that way because I was really asking... "How many of you think that, compared to you, those old guys were Troglodytes (cavemen)?"

Then Rick said...
"They just had fewer tools (such as calculus) available to them."

The point that I made was... those "Troglodytes" developed Calculus... a few hundred years ago!

So, in the larger sense, I was asking... "How can some people, in this day and age, consider themselves to be "smart" if they aren't as smart as some of those troglodytes from days gone by... namely, the ones that invented Calculus!

The Brits are correct... Americans have no sense of irony!

Aw shucks, did I mention I need 42 hours of beer time a week? How am I supposed to go to school 12 hours a week? That would only leave me with er, um, 20 something hours of beer time.
Who needs math anyway.

Sorry fella's.

I'll zip my lip henceforth, lest I get Floggled.
I DO learn a tremendous amount of info on this site, and it is ALWAYS inspiring.
Thanx to everyone here, I make more money than I used to!
Cheers!