Forum upgrade coming...

I also would like to thank you for an excellent job done with this forum

My only requests would be for the search feature you have already mentioned and something that alerts you to and old post that has been reactivated say for example after one month.

Hi Folks,

Vb-addons: Haven't really considered any. I'll have to investigate what they actually are...

RSS- OK that will be added.

email subjects- Sorry but I don't understand the request. Please explain manmeetvirdi.

Google custom search- Will 'most likely' be added in the first qtr of the year unless I can find something better. (Any other ideas??) The free version carries ads with it (unacceptable for this site) and I can't control when the site is indexed, so yes it might be unable to search very recent posts. The paid version, which we'd do here (hence the need to wait until early next year :whistle: ) has no ads and I believe I can control what/when it's indexed so the data should be fresher.

another forums read button- Seems reasonable

old post alert- I'll have to consider how to do that. Maybe change font color on the front page to make it stand out or something. Ideas are welcome once everythings back together

Enjoy,

OK
By saying Keywords in subject line I meant the following:
Suppose a member of this forum has set "key words" in his setting
like a)Siemens b)PID c)Scilab, then who so ever uses these keywords in there subject title while posting a new question then this particular member will receive an e-mail.

Puspose:Question of his interest is being asked.

Thanks very much for your time

manmeetvirdi said:
Suppose a member of this forum has set "key words" in his setting
like a)Siemens b)PID c)Scilab, then who so ever uses these keywords in there subject title while posting a new question then this particular member will receive an e-mail.

Puspose:Question of his interest is being asked.

That is a good idea... let me give it some thought as to how to accomplish it as it seems like a huge project in itself.
Enjoy,

icon19.gif
Phil, I would like to say thank you for the forum. I really enjoy using it even when I do not have a problem. Just being able to read about other people's problems sometime allows us to stop a situation from happenning to us.

Please keep up the good work. The ones of us that do not do this type of work full time get a lot of help along will the ones just starting in the field.

I think the idea of improving the search with google is great. I use the google search engine regularly on the internet and usually have quick success with it.

I want to thank everyone on the forum for all of the past and future help and information.
icon14.gif

Since there is nothing at plctalk.net you could automatically forward them to plctalk.net/qanda instead of sitting there with a link to /qanda. Not a huge functionality upgrade by any means but my browser likes to go to plctalk.net when I start typing "plc..." in the address bar.

How about a file area where you store the past PLC Programming Tips.
BTW - love the forum. There is a lot of knowledge here - now if we could only harness it.

pandersen said:
Since there is nothing at plctalk.net you could automatically forward them to plctalk.net/qanda instead of sitting there with a link to /qanda. Not a huge functionality upgrade by any means but my browser likes to go to plctalk.net when I start typing "plc..." in the address bar.

That's your browser. They have these things called favorites now :)

Hello Phil.

Like all my colleague I want to thank you for the grate work you do here.
Today its the first tine I enter the new forum and the first thing I missed is the country flags under our names.
I think this flags show how big this forum and global.

I like the idea of key words.I think it will be helpful searching tool.

Thanks again.

Hi there
In search page Image verification image is not coming up.
I checked this in both Firefox3 and IE7.
On pressing "search now" button its coming up with:
The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed.

Also presently online members are not coming up.

Last edited:
Today its the first tine I enter the new forum and the first thing I missed is the country flags under our names.
Because I always direct my pupils to this page as a means of contacting me after they have finished their courses and as a primary resource for help in troubled times and thereby I always brag about how big this site is (I always tell them it's the best PLC site I know) I also miss the flags. These indeed give a very good idea about the impact this site has on the automation world.

Another remark: in the past there was information about the number of threads, posts and members. In the previous version the number of members wasn't directly visible anymore, but there was the line "Welcome to our newest member" and if you selected the name you could see the member number. In this version I have no idea how to tell my pupils how many people can come to their rescue when they need it.

Kind regards,

Miss country flags

I also miss the country flags, it is nice to see where the person lives or the problem is. o_O

Keep up the good work. :geek:

bugs...

Please let me know if any more bugs are found so they can be fixed. Thanks!!!!

Hi there
In search page Image verification image is not coming up.
I checked this in both Firefox3 and IE7.
On pressing "search now" button its coming up with:
The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed.

Also presently online members are not coming up.

search without image verification fixed.
Scroll down to see online members. I'll move back it to top later. thanks

Hello Phil.

Like all my colleague I want to thank you for the grate work you do here.

I like the idea of key words.I think it will be helpful searching tool.

Thanks again.

flags are back. thanks

Because I always direct my pupils to this page as a means of contacting me after they have finished their courses and as a primary resource for help in troubled times and thereby I always brag about how big this site is (I always tell them it's the best PLC site I know) I also miss the flags. These indeed give a very good idea about the impact this site has on the automation world.

Another remark: in the past there was information about the number of threads, posts and members. In the previous version the number of members wasn't directly visible anymore, but there was the line "Welcome to our newest member" and if you selected the name you could see the member number. In this version I have no idea how to tell my pupils how many people can come to their rescue when they need it.

Kind regards,

flags and stats and newest member are back now. thanks

how to display images

I cannot see a "display images" button. Do I have a browser or settings problem?

I saw your reply to a question earlier and realized the picture problem... :unsure:
It's now merged with the attach files button instead of being seperate.
So, click attach files button... browse to the picture on your computer... upload the picture... then look in the message editor for the attachments pulldown and choose your picture.

text is here... nospam1.gif. <--it still can be between text as before and multiple pictures can be included.