Forum upgrade coming...

How about using more of the form real estate by putting the thread starter and date on the same line as the topic name:

plc009.jpg

Regarding Sub-forums, then the simplicity of the single forum as it is now is one of the great advantages with PLCTALK.

I COULD accept sub-forums, but only to split into professional and non-professional talk. I miss sometimes being able to post "It has been a bad day - I need a hug". Somehow I dont find it correct to post such things on the real forum.

Maybe an acceptable alternative to sub-forums could be tagging. Maybe even forced tagging according to predefined lists. Then you can search for the tags you want to see, or for the tags you want to exclude.

I prefer the current all-in-one format as opposed to sub forums, having participated in both.

I'm not a PLC guy, I'm an instrument and process control guy, so those kinds of topics tend to take more effort to dig out in the sub forum format, and I tend to skip the specific brand forums.

With the all-in-one format, I just scan the titles and pick those seem to fit. (Side note, I NEVER even open the "Help me, please" type posts; the title's gotta have some clue as to what the topic is)

I do like Jesper's idea about a professional and non-professional forum split, for exactly the reasons he states.

Dan

I agree with Jesper and DanW

Jesper >>>> HUG for today

What about having a student subforum or something similar ?

With perhaps a sticky readme telling students what is and what isnt acceptable and how to best ask etc ?

I also prefer the current all-in-one format. A lot of topics don't fit neatly within a sub-forum. On the other forums, even though I might browse only a couple of sub-forums, I find it still takes longer to weed through less topics. Don't change a thing.

I concur. With the current amount of traffic (and even a reasonable increase) there's a perfect amount to digest if you check periodically.

Nice Multi-quote feature, BTW.

I prefer the current all-in-one format as opposed to sub forums, having participated in both.

I'm not a PLC guy, I'm an instrument and process control guy, so those kinds of topics tend to take more effort to dig out in the sub forum format, and I tend to skip the specific brand forums.

With the all-in-one format, I just scan the titles and pick those seem to fit. (Side note, I NEVER even open the "Help me, please" type posts; the title's gotta have some clue as to what the topic is)

I do like Jesper's idea about a professional and non-professional forum split, for exactly the reasons he states.

Dan

I also prefer the current all-in-one format. A lot of topics don't fit neatly within a sub-forum. On the other forums, even though I might browse only a couple of sub-forums, I find it still takes longer to weed through less topics. Don't change a thing.

How about using more of the form real estate by putting the thread starter and date on the same line as the topic name:

I'll have to check into max title characters + name/date to see what will happen with a long title.

Regarding Sub-forums, then the simplicity of the single forum as it is now is one of the great advantages with PLCTALK.

I COULD accept sub-forums, but only to split into professional and non-professional talk. I miss sometimes being able to post "It has been a bad day - I need a hug". Somehow I dont find it correct to post such things on the real forum.

Maybe an acceptable alternative to sub-forums could be tagging. Maybe even forced tagging according to predefined lists. Then you can search for the tags you want to see, or for the tags you want to exclude.

I'll consider an off-topic section.
There is tagging currently for the topic starter but not to a predefined list... I'm debating about keeping the tagging function as it's hardly used and very user dependent.

Enjoy

The single 'all-in-one' format will definitely stay for the main section.
Enjoy,

There is tagging currently for the topic starter but not to a predefined list... I'm debating about keeping the tagging function as it's hardly used and very user dependent.
I suggest that thread starters should be forced to select at least one tag. I see the tagging feature working well one some sites (where I think the tags are either fixed, or selected by moderators). On other sites where people can just type any text they find relevant, tagging is just annoying.

I suggest that thread starters should be forced to select at least one tag. I see the tagging feature working well one some sites (where I think the tags are either fixed, or selected by moderators). On other sites where people can just type any text they find relevant, tagging is just annoying.

I'll bite, what's a tag?

A tag is a little comment or identifier that can be used for grouping posts together. You see them very often on blogs. For example a post about suggestions for christmas presents could have the tag "christmas". You will se the tag(s) next to the post. Now if you click a tag, you will immediately be brought to all posts with the same tag.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_(metadata)

I think it should have an option to veiw all. I enjoy reading all types of posts. It makes me think about things that I have yet to be exposed to along with past problems.