forum upgrade... this weekend.

I would suggest moving the forum jump above the quick reply. More people jump back to the main forum than reply.

Oops, I just saw the line. Never mind.

I would also suggest changing the started by text in the main forum to italic or something to distinguish it. Maybe drop the "started by" words, but I am not sure about that. I understand why it is there.

Last edited:
I would also suggest changing the started by text in the main forum to italic or something to distinguish it. Maybe drop the "started by" words, but I am not sure about that. I understand why it is there.

About the only thing I miss from the old forum is the "Started by" column. I used to find it quicker and easier to find a Thread I had started a day or two earlier by simply scanning down the column looking for my name. The current setup while more informative, on the whole, doesn't hit you in the eye the way the old one did.

RE:remember me

Phil Melore said:
  1. Log in to the forum.
  2. Log out of the forum.
  3. Clear your cookies.
  4. Shut down the browser.
  5. Start the browser again.
  6. Login to the forum.
That should fix it...
NOPE!

I'm running Netscape 7.1 on XP Pro SP1
I cleared all cookies and rebooted - no joy
While writing this, I have 6 cookies from this site.
After logout I have only 1 cookie - "bbsessionhash"
The "bbuserid" and "bbpassword" cookies which I assume are the requisite ones to be remembered get cleared - even though their expiry dates are next year.

Last edited:
Gerry said:
NOPE!
The "bbuserid" and "bbpassword" cookies which I assume are the requisite ones to be remembered get cleared - even though their expiry dates are next year.

Hi Gerry,
Are you using 'ad-removal ware', a firewall, high security settings on Netscape 7?

When are the cookies cleared? When you close the browser and reopen, then they are gone?

Anybody else having this problem?

Thanks,

it doesn't stand out, does it?

PLucas said:
Nice one Eric!!

Like DD I was using the jump box to return to the main forum, I didn't notice the links

Paul

Yes, That was a headache to setup actually. I cheated and put it in a 'green bar'. I agree it's hard to notice and I'll change it.

Haven't had any problems. Running IE6, I haven't logged out since the switch though.

Logged out then logged back in, closed browser and came back with no problems.

Last edited:
RMA said:
About the only thing I miss from the old forum is the "Started by" column. I used to find it quicker and easier to find a Thread I had started a day or two earlier by simply scanning down the column looking for my name. The current setup while more informative, on the whole, doesn't hit you in the eye the way the old one did.

I moved the 'started by' text so that the username of the thread starter is the first on the left. Is that better to 'eye'?

TIP: If you click on 'thread starter' at the top of the column it will sort the pages by the username of the person that started each thread. That way you can find the threads you started listed on top of each other.

Enjoy,

Martin T. said:
Logged out then logged back in, closed browser and came back with no problems.

Thanks for verifying that. I tried on 3 different computers and they all worked well. Used Firefox and IE6.

I also verified the cookie strings.

Phil Melore said:
Hi Gerry,
Are you using 'ad-removal ware', a firewall, high security settings on Netscape 7?

When are the cookies cleared? When you close the browser and reopen, then they are gone?

Anybody else having this problem?

Thanks,
I use zone alarm but I haven't changed any settings since the forum change over. The cookies are cleared as soon as I log out.

Gerry said:
I use zone alarm but I haven't changed any settings since the forum change over. The cookies are cleared as soon as I log out.

Try logging out and deleting the "bbsessionhash" cookie as well. (I believe you said earlier that it was still there after logout)
Hopefully that will work....

Let me know if it doesn't. :)

Phil

This is result of my logging out when I click on the log out link:
error.jpg

but I did log out in the end:
errorr.jpg

Just finding it curious even after I tried what was suggest.:unsure:

regards
Sherine T.

Hi again Phil.

I dont know if this is intentional or not, but in the old version of the forum, you could specify that a name or hint should be displayed when posting a web-link (like "ABs website")
Now you can only display the full URL, which may be not so pretty, and even problematic as some URLs are VERY long.

I moved the 'started by' text so that the username of the thread starter is the first on the left. Is that better to 'eye'?

TIP: If you click on 'thread starter' at the top of the column it will sort the pages by the username of the person that started each thread. That way you can find the threads you started listed on top of each other.

It's not quite as quick as just being able to scroll down, but having got there it has the added benefit that all my recent Threads are grouped together, which is definite improvement!

Thanks, once again, for all your effort!

JesperMP said:
Hi again Phil.

I dont know if this is intentional or not, but in the old version of the forum, you could specify that a name or hint should be displayed when posting a web-link (like "ABs website")
Now you can only display the full URL, which may be not so pretty, and even problematic as some URLs are VERY long.

Allen Bradley

It works.

Type in the words you want to use, highlight them then click the hyperlink button
createlink.gif
and fill in the URL.